1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Official trailer for The New Mutants, based on the Marvel comic. I love the idea of doing this as a horror film, trying something different rather than just making another comic book movie. I do wonder how true to the characters in the comics they will be in the movie. If they do it right, I'm looking forward to seeing Maisie Williams as Rahne Sinclair.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

New Mutants has me cautiously optimistic. I loved the comic, so I'll be critical of them taking the characters and just using the names to make a horror movie, but there is definitely a horror element to some of the early storylines.

3. outofplace

It looks like more a matter of trying to take a different approach to a movie based on a superhero comic book. Of course, we will have to see if they stay true to the powers and personalities of the characters from the comics. Completely overhauling Negasonic Teenage Warhead was fine for Deadpool, but that won't fly in a New Mutants movie.

Looks like no Warlock. I'd love to see him in a post-credits scene.

4. outofplace

Ron Howard announced the title of next year's Han Solo movie. Not exactly a surprise. Solo: A Star Wars Story

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not amused:

[​IMG]

6. outofplace

Neither were any of the people who watched that movie.

Batman likes this.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Notice anything about these movie posters?
    [​IMG]

How about this one?

[​IMG]

8. outofplace

Is this the thing about Vader's helmet?

9. outofplace

New trailer for the Punisher series on Netflix. More importantly, Marvel and Netflix finally stopped fucking around and announced when the show will drop. It will be on Netflix Nov. 17.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Now they've retconned The Punisher so it's the government that killed his family?

11. outofplace

It's not really a retcon, which implies going back and changing some element of an ongoing story. This is just a different story based on the comics, just as the Netflix version of Jessica Jones doesn't follow the comics exactly.

For example, in the comics, Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel) rescued Jessica Jones from Killgrave. That isn't how it worked on the show, which doesn't involve Danvers at all. She hasn't even appeared in the MCU yet.

Daredevil is also different, For example, the final scene from Defenders was taken from the comics, but the events that landed him in that situation were completely different.

The government, or at least rogue soldiers, killing Frank Castle's family could fit into what we've seen of him in the Netflix MCU so far.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No. Notice that in every one of the previous seven movie posters, the villain is placed highest on the poster. Then you look at the poster for The Last Jedi and ...

Draft saved Draft deleted