1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

Re: Battlestar Galactica . . . Anyone else watch it?

I'm hooked on this show, but I look forward to it less and less every week.

There was a time when I was literally on the edge of my seat every episode and couldn't wait until Friday nights. The last half of the first season and first half of the second season were absolutely gripping.

But the third season has been a bit of a disappointment, and I often find myself doing things around the house with the show just playing now.

It doesn't have the same edge it used to, and I actually look forward to the weekly episode of Smallville more now (which would have been preposterous two years ago).

I don't think I'm in the minority because the show's ratings have taken a nosedive this season.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

My sources indicate otherwise. :-X

According to Multichannel News, it's still the #1 basic cable entertainment program in its target demographics and the January return episode increased its viewership in the target 18-49 demos by 60 percent. The DVD sets continue to sell strongly. I think the move to Sunday nights will help a lot.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Haven't been able to get into the new series. Tried watching the pilot and didn't quite care for it. I guess the original series I watched back in the late 70s/early 80s was still ingrained too deeply in my head.

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Dwight Schrute watches it.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I like the show -- Dwight Schrute notwithstanding. But I've gotta chime in with the criticism of this season. The early part, with the occupation of New Caprica, was outstanding...Lots of moral gray areas, lots of interesting questions about the morals collaboration and terrorism/"resistance."

But since they got off New Caprica, it's been sllloooooow. The Cylon/Baltar sequences are trippier than Tommy, I couldn't care less about the love triangle and nothing has happened or seems likely to happen soon.

Tricia Helfer is crazy hot, though.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I watched the pilot the years ago, but the office lost Sci-Fi on our cable system shortly thereafter, and I didn't have cable. Thought the pilot was excellent. Rewatching it the other night drives home how much better it wa when Apollo and Starbuck were just friends, instead of this damn love triangle stuff.

The recent marathon showed the third season up to now. I thought the New Caprica stuff was brilliant, and now I'm using www.tv-links.co.uk to catch up. Really liked the idea of a Kangaroo Court to execute New Caprica collaborators.

I don't think the President is a cylon, because having the persom who was 43rd in succession be so important would stretch credibility.

7. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I've never been much for Sci-FI but I love this damn show. The Exodus episodes were excellent.

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I know. Just got tired of the back-and-forth.

Starbuck?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I didn't say anything then and I'm not saying anything now.

10. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

;)

11. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

First season average Nielsen rating: 2.38
    Second season average Nielsen rating: 1.96
    Third season (to date) average Nielsen rating: 1.48

That's not a good sign.

I want the show to get back to the edgy, blurred lines, edge of your seat, character-driven social commentary that made it my favorite show in the first two years.

Oh yeah, and more Tom Zarek and Leobon would be nice. They're the best characters on the show.

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Wow. I didn't realize the ratings plunge was that serious.

Hopefully they'll get their shit together (new writers?) before the network has to pull the plug.

Draft saved Draft deleted