1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

To fix this? Do y’all realize how long that was going to take?

Minimum of an hour of work for 3 minutes of racing. The bolts and springs that hold those tires are just gone.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

TIL that a guy named Patricio O'Ward is Mexican, not Irish or Italian.

I did not see any of the race, only listened to the radio broadcast. Paul Page sounds old (well, he is). The ads for the not-really-cable-but-claiming-to-be-cable service seemed really sketchy, but what do I know.

maumann likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Page and the recorded history inserts for Donald Davidson make me think neither may make it to the 105th running.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If people had known it was going to be an hour, there would have been zero objections. I agree with you that it might have taken longer, and that wouldn't have been ideal. For subsequent years, I bet there will be a replacement attenuator that can be forklifted in and bolted within minutes.

For IMS' sake, I'm glad they didn't have to tell 250,000 fans that the race was over. Nascar has trained everyone to expect an attempt at a finish. And Indy 500s have been red-flagged before. Just very unsatisfying, but very on-point for 2020.

Neutral Corner and Driftwood like this.
  5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You think so? The Mercedes livery this season is, to me, absolutely gorgeous. Ferrari, as shitty of a car as it is this year, is classically beautiful. I rather like Renault and Haas, while my son loves McLaren and my daughter loves Racing Point.

As I've noted upthread, I'm new to following the sport since I used to pay attention during the early aughts, so I'm curious what you don't like about the current design.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I assume @Driftwood is talking about design and not livery. I don't think they're bad now but they've certainly been better. They've improved greatly over a few years ago.

A few years ago the FIA wanted to clean up the dirty air the cars create. They mandated changes that included a larger, lower front wing and a much smaller rear wing. The result was kind of butt-ugly, and for a season several of the cars had what appeared to be dicks hanging off the nose to meet the height requirement.

The FIA backed off and the cars look better. It's not a golden era for design aesthetics but I'm generally OK with it.

Livery is always a mixed bag. Ferrari usually looks very good. The high-water mark of the last couple of decades is the old Mild Seven-era Renault. (The design, too. Just a beautiful car.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    bigpern23 and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yes, I was talking about the physical design, not the livery.
    I hate the halo. I understand it. If it ever keeps one person from being seriously injured, then it's worth it. It just looks like shit. Somehow, Indy cars pull off the same thing but it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I actually like the halo more than the windscreen, which I didn't expect. They're both ugly but the driver just disappears in the IndyCar version.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If you're gonna have a halo, and you're gonna have a windshield, why the hell not just have an enclosed cockpit and be done with it?
    I hadn't watched a minute of IndyCar in quite a while so I was a bit surprised to see they've latched on to the put-all-the-checkers-behind-the-plexiglass trend!

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Because someone eventually would end up upside-down in a crash and not be able to get out. Even yesterday I was yelling at the TV when that driver (forget who) seemed to be slow getting out when the right front tire caught fire and then really caught fire. I know there's no problem escaping with the windshield but it creates one extra half-second of suspense.

maumann likes this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

James Davison actually addressed that, because I was thinking the same thing. (Trivia: In an era where it's almost impossible to have an engine failure, Davison has DNFed five times in seven Indy starts. That's .... not good, even though this one was definitely not his fault.)

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted