1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zizzer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Thank you for the links. This was an interesting week.

I will also add in the Red Bull Press Release

Red Bull New York it is. When do the Kits go on sale?

And to add:
    The NEW Official Homepage

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My Marvell Wynne Metros rookie card is going to be worth a fortune!!

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Nice.

I asked Iain when the kits were coming out. I hope to hear from him today on this.

5. Webster

I need to figure out at which Adidas outlet store the "old" 2006 Metros gear will be stocked. I might need to make a drive up to Woodbury Commons.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Last time I was there they had some German and French kits, but they were size children's small.

The Nike outlet up there had some kick-ass stuff. My wife snagged me a bunch of US throw backs on the cheap.

But, if you are out there, you should check out the Puma outlet. They had the Swiss and Poland kits, I believe. They looked alright.

7. Webster

I got back into soccer about five years ago. When I was in Italy on my honeymoon, I wanted to pick up a cool kit from one of the Italian teams, but those Euros make everything so small that their XXL was like an American L. Finally, I went to a Niketown in Venice and found an Inter shirt which was made in my size. I paid about $80 or so. A few weeks after we got back, we went to Woodbury and I went over to the Nike outlet. They had two soccer shirts in the whole store -- a kids Brazil shirt and the identical Inter shirt that I bought. On clearance for $14.99.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yeah, sometimes you find gold-mines in the outlets.

Last year I remember going to a game and talking with one of your guys and they just picked up the US kit for $20 or so in Marshall's! So, the next day, I was down at Marshall's digging through to find stuff. I did find a couple US kits but they were XXXL or XXL and that is just way too large for me. (However, the stuff I buy when I'm in China I do need to get in XXXL.)

I did, a few months later, find a Juventus kit in Marshall's for $20. It was the long sleeve version and everything.

Now, I need to locate Red Bull New York kits and see what these bad boys look like. Red for home, white for away.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And the annals of embarrassing MLS names . . . . lose a member.

Sorry, never liked MetroStars, and really hated it when they removed the city designation. As for Red Bull. . . . well, it's not my local team, so no big deal as far as I'm concerened. It trumps trying to use a year or the word "Real" in a name. I'm ecstatic that MLS has another owner not named Anschutz, Hunt or Kraft joining the club. To me, taht's the most important aspect of this, that MLS is gaining new investors and thus building more legitimacy.

It's just weird to realize that we've had three new MLS names for two MLS teams this spring. Who needs expansion? Just rename 'em.

I should have picked up the jerseys ("kits," indeed. This is NOT England, dammit!  ;D) at the MLS outlet section of the online store when I had a chance.

- Speaking of jerseys and Italy and low prices: I honeymooned in Italy, and the Sunday market in Rome had an interesting booth. They were selling the authentics for the low, low prices the crappy ones go for. I picked up an AS Roma (not a fan, per se, but I really liked that Serie A-winning team they had five years ago) and an Italian national team jersey. Total: 45 bucks. Had I known I would not find a bargain like that on the rest of my honeymoon, I would have bought more. Live and learn.   

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Piotr, I'm not sure the name is that terrible.

I'm not a huge fan, but nothing with dethrown Real.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Oh I see.

Actually, I'm partial to MetroStars. I would have preferred they keep the name. However, Red Bull bought it. It is their toy. They get to do what they want.

Now I need to get a new kit.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i'm more of a sugar-free red bull kinda guy. i just like that taste better than regular red bull

Draft saved Draft deleted