1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zizzer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

True enough. Sounded like Juve-Werder Bremen would've been the one to show.

Maybe Madrid will flex some of those offensive muscles, since they have to come out and play today.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I saw the gaffe by the Bremen keeper -- one of the worst clutch mistakes that I''ve ever seen.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

So, Webster, how are you feeling in regards to the New York Red Bulls?

Also, won't there be some issue with that name since they play at the Meadowlands? I thought there was some law or rule with NJSEA/NJ that any team playing there had to have NJ in the name, thus the stupid NY/NJ Knights and NY/NJ MetroStars.

4. Webster

I'm indifferent. This type of sponsorship/ownership is the future of the MLS and other leagues without huge TV contracts. I assume that Sierra Mist doesn't see the brand as a competitior. If they pump money into the team and, more importantly, keep the stadium project going, then I'm all for it. As for the die hards who are proclaiming the death of the Metros, get over it. We have turned over 75% of the roster in 18 months and play in the most sterile enviroment in the league.

As to the "New York" thing, it is always going to be an issue with New Jersey teams. No offense to the Garden State, but if I am Red Bull marketing execs, the "New York" name has more allure. If I had to guess, they will be called the Metrostars for this year and will be allowed to change next year, hopefully in a new stadium where the NJSEA isn't a problem.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Well according Michael Lewis, the deal is done and the name is New York Red Bulls. The new colors will be red for home and white for away. The log will be the same as Salzburg, except New York instead.

Clearly, NY sells while NJ doesn't. Thus the name. I have no problem as this is all the NYC area. I just thought I remembered some issue with NJ or NJSEA that required NJ to be in the name.

Maybe they'll pull an Anaheim Angels and be New York Red Bulls of New Jersey! ;)

The stadium area is still on path. The land is getting cleared out now. Also, according to new reports, lots of money will change hands so that the stadium has the Red Bull name.

The only thing that worries me is this little snippet from the Frank Giase article in the NY Times.
    I like money coming in. I do not like replica Cosmos.

6. Webster

I wouldn't trust anything old number 9 says.  He tells the truth about as often as he tracked back on defense or passed the ball.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

But ChamionsWorld was such a success...

8. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Wow, bringing back the old World League of American Football reference.... Nice, how about some Ohio Glory?

Don't know about that rule, though, because if it does exist, it obviously doesn't apply to the Jets or the Giants....

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Zizzer, the Jets and Giants are exempt based around money and length of time. The rule would apply only to new teams.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Saw this and felt I should share.

[​IMG]

11. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Hey, I've seen that before! [/smartass]

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

:( Sorry, the image I posted no longer exists.

Draft saved Draft deleted