1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zizzer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'm curious about this, Webster. How can you not stay unspoiled?
    I've found that the easiest thing to do in this country is to avoid the final score of a soccer game.
    I doubt I'll have time to watch, but I still don't know who won Liverpool's most recent game. I can find out if I want, but I also could wait if I thought I'd have the time to see the game.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Eagles, good selection on a team. Fulham has a sweet looking kit and with a few nationals on their side they can be fun to follow.

Twoback, it is fairly easy to avoid a final score, however, if the game is on at 12:30am, that means I'm not watching it until 6pm tomorrow. Since that is well over 24-hours beyond the point, I will definitely have read or found out.

It has to do with the other websites I visit as well as the online newspapers I choose to read.

Now, the important stuff. Rangers have their return match with Villareal today. The light blues need a win, have to win.

I just hope their big stiffs in the back don't get played for fools as usual. I also hope Eck doesn't fuck up the line-up as usual.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Not to mention the ever-present danger of a brainless co-worker/friend or a rogue ESPN ticker.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Sure Crass, but it's not that hard. No ESPNSoccernet, No Bigsoccer, no UEFA.com. Just take some time away.
    You're home free.
    If you want to watch a soccer game with the suspense intact, it's no problem,.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Thanks to Charter Cable, it'll be nothing but Guardian matchtrackers for me.

If I can get Radio Scoop to work tomorrow, I'll listen to Lyon-PSV in addition to Arsenal-Madrid updates.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Twoback: It's not impossible to stay unspoiled, but given that I need to be at work tomorrow for a 7:30 conference call (with my colleagues in the UK who love to talk soccer), at best I can watch the game Wednesday night. Given my surfung of the web, etc., it is usually very hard for me to stay unspoiled for more than a night. Plus, I love reading all of the news reports after.

I'll probably avoid the result, tape the game and, if my daughter wakes up in the middle of the night, I might fast forward through it.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'll have to avoid the phone as well. A few of my buddies, and my father, will be watching the Gers play. I'm certain to receive the drunk phone call informing that I either a) missed a great game or b) missed the light blues shitting the bed. Most likely it will be b, however, it will be hard to avoid.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Webster, if you would like to listen to the live audio for the Chelsea match, you can pull up the BBC's Five Live. I've got the Rangers game on there now.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

10. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Twoback, I kind of like JP.... liked him better when he was John Paul Dellacamera, but whatever....

He's not too bad. I also really did like Bob Ley - think he did the cup in 94. Thought he was pretty fantastic at letting the play go on the field instead of needing to fill sound space. I mean, let me hear the crowd instead of the damn announcer, wouldja?

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Kind of a snoozer between Chelski and Barca. Watched from about the 20th-70th minute "live" on tape delay and fast forwarded through the rest this morning. The best part was the reactions from The Special One every time a call didn't go Chelski's way.

Crass, sorry about the Gers. Looked like they had a real chance.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Well, as I was informed, Burke was playing exceptionally well, as usual, and so was Buffel. Thus, Eck needed to make the move to pull them out.

Nevermind that Namouchi, who sucks, and Hemdani, who blows, were still on the pitch, sucking and blowing.

I like the addition of Boyd, that kid can score. I don't like the addition of Novo, he's finished.

The David Caruso look-alike cannot depart fast enough for my tastes.

Draft saved Draft deleted