1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose, Never-Ending Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zizzer, Mar 1, 2006.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Re: USA/Poland Thread (soccer)

Someone like Reyna (or, dare I hope, John O'Brien) is key to the US midfield. Guys like Mastroeni, Zavagnin and Armas can do the destructive work, but they don't facilitate the attack all that well. Donovan and Dempsey are plenty creative, but they've both shown that being a straight-up central mid isn't the best fit for them. Rico Clark and Brian Carroll are, apparently, not ready for prime time.

JOB and Capt. America can do both, and more. They can distribute, defend and organize a midfield - anyone watching the Poland game knows how important that can be.

That said, though, I don't think it's a coincidence that Donovan became much more involved in the game when Mastro came on. He's shown that he can handle patrolling central midfield, which allows Donovan to play further forward and be more of a threat. If neither Reyna or JOB are available, something all too possible, Pablo would be my first choice to keep tabs on Pirlo, Gilardino, Nedved, etc.

2. TrooperBari

Winning in Europe is great, yes, but I doubt the fact that the World Cup is located in a European nation is shattering anyone's confidence. Remember, too, that we've already beaten Poland in Poland.

Taking out Germany in Germany would be great fun. Keep in mind these are the same Germans who barely beat China, lost to Turkey and surrendered three goals to pre-Hiddink Australia at home. If the Yanks do pull it off, though, I can't help but feel the headlines will be more about Germany losing than the US winning....

3. KP

KP Active Member

Jack was doing the play-by-play of the Bruins blowing another 3rd period lead last night in Carolina. O'B was BRUTAL, I cut him slack for the last 20 minutes with the snow, but he was brutal. And Balboa is nothing to write home about either. Give me Seamus! Derek Rae should be doing pbp for ESPN.

If not Howard, what about Hannehman in the 2 spot?
    I actually recently spoke to Reis and he wasn't very confident about being called to camp.

4. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

There's not a single announcer I like - that includes Tommy Smyth, Seamus Malin, Derek Rae, the whole lot of them. They all either come off as some pompous foreign blowhard - like that'll grow the game in this country - or have the attitude like Balboa of "I've been there, this is what's going on." No, Marcello, you greasy dirtbag, you played at a time when they took 11 warm bodies. If you were in your prime right now, you'd be so far down on the depth chart that I'D be above you.

Can't we just have an announcer who doesn't see the incessant need to keep yapping?

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It is hard to be a soccer announcer in the US -- you have to attract the causal fan, yet the hardcores will jump on you if you overexplain, discuss any "story lines" or, God forbid, make a single mistake with respect to the rules of soccer or anything regarding current events in the sport.  The Enberg-Collins team was great when I watched the French Open or Wimbledon, but more serious tennis fans hated how much they (meaning Bud) talked.  I actually like Rob Stone, if he would cut the goofiness by 50 percent.

On a side note, the Metros may be bought by Red Bull.  http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/article.php?article_id=5552

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Webster, I have been busy this morning, but, goddam, I wanted to talk about that Reb Bull bullshit.

Well, I don't know if it is bullshit, but "Reb Bull Stars" does not roll off the tongue.

Also, forgot about Hahnemann. He can play. Hartman, not so much.

And to the comment about winning in Europe, yes, the team did win in Poland a while back, but they haven't faired too well outside of that.

The Germany game will be big. There is no way that Germany will want to lose that one, especially after the Italy debacle.

7. duckman

duckman Member

Interesting week in French soccer..

Paris-SG and Marseille's match today was expected to be intense. Fearing fan violence, PSG downgrades the amount of tickets it typically gives to the away team.. this pisses Marseille off and Marseille sends a team of reserve players and tell its fans to stay home.

It actually worked to Marseille's advantage. The pressure was on PSG to beat a bunch of scrubs and they weren't able to do it. Match ended 0-0.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=360764&cc=5901

8. I finally caved in and bought a TV...just in time for round 2 of Barca-Chelsea tonight and Arsenal-Real Madrid tomorrow....starting to hate Chelsea and their coach more and more everyday...

also...decided to throw my support around Fulham...they got thumped by the other team i watch here (Arsenal) 4-0 on Saturday but they are in my neighborhood and they have Americans playing for them so why not i guess....it's also easier to get tickets to their games which helps....

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

What about JP Della Camera? I think he's great on soccer.
    He bothers you, too?

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The World Baseball Classic has another victim -- today's game between Barca and Chelski will be shown on tape delay at 12:30 a.m., as will tomorrow's return leg between Arsenal and Real Madrid. There is no way that I can stay unspoiled until tomorrow a.m., so I guess that I'll follow it on the web.

11. TrooperBari

Fat chance finding an announcer that'll satiate SoccerFan's list of wants from among the current ESPN pool.

JP was fine, Dave O'Brien is still finding his way and, for all his homerism, you couldn't fault Jack for his energy. I seem to remember Bob Ley being good back in the day - think he could pull himself away from Outside the Lines to do a few WC matches?

Balboa is brutal as an announcer and Wynalda is just as grating. FSC can keep Harkes. If we absolutely, positively must have a former player (what am I saying? It's ESPN!), I'd like to see Cobi Jones get a chance at the booth. He's intelligent, photogenic and decent on TV, from what I remember of his ill-fated run on MTV.

12. TrooperBari

Isn't the WBC game on ESPN, though? From what I saw of today's ESPN2 schedule, it looked like the usual Champions League time slot is filled with Cold Pizza and more of Steve Sabol's Greatest Hits.

I can understand Wednesday being taken up - who wouldn't want a day full of Big East basketball - but nothing today?

Draft saved Draft deleted