1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Purpose NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jay_christley, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

How delicate will the questions be for Tony Stewart after today's "incidents" so as not to provoke Mr. Short Fuse?

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

A more pressing question – when is The Big One gonna happen? When they restart after this most recent caution there will only be 20 laps left, if that, and 36 cars on the lead lap. It will happen.

As long as the 24 is in front of the carnage, I don't care who gets taken out.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, thanks to Jamie McMurray and a little bit of bump-drafting in Turn 2, Kurt Busch's chances of winning are gone. Ironically, McMurray is driving Busch's old car (97 is now 26).

And, naturally, it happened right in front of Jeff Gordon, which means his fourth career Daytona 500 win will have to wait until next year. Shoulda kept my previous thoughts to myself. :(

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Wow, it didn't take long for karma to catch up to Mr. McMurray – in Turn 2, no less.

Looks like a green-white-checkered finish coming up.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

And Jimmie Johnson, with lead engineer Darian Grubb sitting in for suspended crew chief Chad Knaus, collects the biggest win of his life.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Does it get much more pointless than a green-white-checkered finish at a restrictor plate track?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

And how redundant is it to say "hot NASCAR wife or girlfriend?" Anybody else impressed by Chandra Johnson?

8. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

My favorite line of the day:

Kurt Busch leaves Roush, goes to Penske: Wrecks out.
    Jamie McMurray leaves Ganassi, goes to Roush: Wrecks out, while Busch is getting interviewed, no less.
    Ganassi, desperate for a driver, throws retread Casey Mears into a choice ride he did not deserve: He finishes third.

Also, I'm glad Mark Martin declined comment. Good for him. Let every other driver sound like a whiny, spoiled brat. The bitching and moaning done by drivers these days is getting a little old.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Jeebus.

You never saw Bill Elliott's first ex-wife. ":eek:" covers it.

Drivers switch teams. That's the way of things.

Sometimes teams switch numbers. The 26 team is the same as last year's 97 team, but Roush Racing's experience with Kurt Busch left both sides so burned out that the team revived a number from a car it shut down some time ago. (Not that Roush is any great shakes himself.)

Second.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Second place is just the first loser." :D

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Charlie: What's so bad about second?
    Stroker Ace, Lugs Harvey: Screw second!

And from the same movie ...

Ken Squier:Just once, JUST ONCE, I wish you guys would TELL US THE REAL STORY!

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I saw that. While the guy was interviewing Kenseth about the hijinks with Stewart, Martin did the usual pat on the back that drivers will do after the race, and the interviewer suddenly asks Martin about the situation between the two. Martin, the wisened veteran that he is, just simply said no and gave the guy a look that said, "You think I'm stupid enough to jump in the middle of these two guys' argument." It had nothing to do with him being a "grumpy old coot."

Also, I don't know if you guys caught it after the race, but they interviewed Kyle (the younger) Busch and he was talking the usual stuff about how he did, and he ended it by saying he was just happy to get out of Daytona (I guess because he hasn't been so successful there so far) and then said, "I hate this place" before he walked off. With the reverential tones that most of the drivers and fans use when they talk about Daytona, I wonder if Busch will catch some heat for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.