1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose NASCAR thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 9, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Why isn't Kyle Petty out of his car yet? Normally after a wreck the guys get out really quickly . . .

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, well, further proof that he's the best. Not talking like a fanboy because I'm not a racing fanboy. Sumbitch knows what he's doing out there.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hehehehehehe [/fangirl]

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I'm glad we speak each other's language. :)

Never said he didn't know what he was doing. Just doesn't mean I have to like it or him.

Tony Stewart used the high groove and it backfired on him.

And, when's DEI and RCR gonna figure out their engine problems? Geez. How many more blown engines do you have to have to know you've got issues?!

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Never have I been more glad to be wrong about something.

But here's why plate racing is so weird: Dave Blaney in the top five, Tony Raines and Reed Sorenson in the top 10?

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Are the two of you speaking some of foreign tongue? :)

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

That was one helluva move by Gordon to win the race, although WTF was Stewart doing late in the race? He made two really bonehead moves, yet still managed to stick his nose into the mix and finish pretty well.

And, can we toss a big, hearty STFU to Gordon and Stacy Compton and the rest for their commentary on how JV shouldn't be running at Talladega because he's inexperienced and hasn't paid his dues. I know the notion exists in NASCARland that all other forms of racing are bush-league compared to the Truck Series, and that no driver whose name ends in a vowel is qualified to join their club, but to say a guy who won the Indy 500 and is an F1 world champion hasn't paid his dues is comical ... and for that matter, Stacy Compton calling out JV is like Herbert Hoover calling Churchill an ineffective world leader.

If JV is too unqualified to run Dega ... maybe Bobby Labonte needs pay his dues in the Busch Series, too. After all, he's only one one major racing championship and one race at Indy. That, and 15+ years of major-league racing obviously aren't enough to keep him from wiping out 1/4 of the field. And besides, his last name ends in a vowel, too.

JV did a decent job today, although the convenient black flag for having no radio communication put a crimp into his ability to contend (he still finished 22nd despite it).

9. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I had an inkling we'd look back on the race and wonder what the big deal was as far as Villeneuve...

I can understand Gordon's concern - in this one race. No one really knew what was going to happen with the COT, not even those who'd been around for a while. But I do think the whole issue was overblown; I'm guessing Gordon was asked about it at every turn, and he maintained his position - one that I do agree was rather shortsighted.

If there were any other race - say spring at 'Dega or either Daytona - I'd be more inclined to side with you, crimson. But I thought the concerns about the COT were valid, so I don't feel like I could go as far as you did.

10. KG

KG Active Member

Has anyone listened to Villeneuve's music, or were you aware that he sings? I'm asking that question with as straight of a face as possible. I'm certainly not saying anything bad about it, it just took me by surprise.

11. boots

boots New Member

Gordon rules. People don't like him because he kicks ass.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And we've just jumped the shark...

Draft saved Draft deleted