1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose hockey thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Nov 2, 2005.

?

How do you like the new NHL, compared to what the sport used to be?

1. I love it!

39 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. I hate it!

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. I could not care less!

11 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. They're playing hockey? When did this happen?

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  5. I don't like hockey, but I love the fights.

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Is Wayne Gretzky still playing?

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. Is Sidney Crosby a girl?

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  8. I like what I've seen so far but I'm not sure if I love it yet

29 vote(s)
    28.7%
  1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sounds like the kind of game audiences love to watch.

Too bad there are millions of idiots nationwide who believe it wouldn't be any good just because it's not on network TV. Fuck network TV.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Leafs blow a 6-3 third period lead and Gionta's three all come in the third period.

Worst thing that could have happened to the Leafs was losing Kubina.

Kaberle & McCabe are sucking up too much ice time and they were fucking standing around for the last two goals.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I picked this and Brodeur's bio up yesterday. The excerpt on the back of Orr's bio was amazing.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Agree completely. I'd rather watch it on my local Fox affiliate over a national network anyway. On the national broadcasts, you always get the announcers mispronouncing names or putting the wrong first name with the last name, etc, etc.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

A lot of great hockey games lastnight. However I am kicking myself by sitting Smyth last night, it was between him, Semin and Gaborik, and considering he hadn't done anything all year ... of course he scores the natural hat trick. Oh well at least that third period made it worthwhile to drop $12 for the pay per view. Ladislav Smid has looked great for the Oilers so far, he has been a minute eater and hasn't looked out of place at all and makes a great first pass out of the zone, something that was one of their biggest concerns with the gap toothed dip shit running with his tail between his legs to Anaheim. Now if they could only figure out how to stay out of the box, that would be great.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

When did hockey season begin? It's still baseball season.

:D

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

The only thing wrong with local Leafs broadcasts is PBP guy Joe Bowen. If you're a hockey fan and have made it through life without hearing "HOLY MACKINAW" being screamed over and over again through your TV, you're a lucky person.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Two great nights of hockey back-to-back. The Wings-Sabres was a physical battle and the Canes-Thrash was amazing. The Canes score a goal in the final second of the first period and win it on Whitney's goal in the last second of regulation.

Man, I love this game!

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Sharks-Canucks hasn't been bad. God, how I love the NHL package...

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Neil Stevens of the Canadian Press reviews the Orr book and interviews Stephen Brunt:

New book on hockey legend Bobby Orr in his prime is hard to put down

I'll say it's hard to put down. I bought it Tuesday evening and stayed up late so I could read it from start to finish. :)

This deserves to be a best-seller. Amazingly enough, most hockey books written by Canadians don't seem to rack up huge sales even in our own country. It's always been a mystery to me as to why that is.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Phaneuf nails Hamel of the Sens

This will be forever known simply as "The Hit".

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The good ones sell: The Game by Dryden and books by Roy Macgregor have sold in the hundreds of thousands of copies. Problem is, the majority of hockey books published are crap: either "as told to" or looser fanboy books.

A lot of publishers stick them into the "hockey books" category and assume they will sell on that basis alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted