1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread III

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

So, how'd you like to be able to drop in on the prime minister of Canada, have a sandwich with him and talk about hockey for an hour? It happened to Glen Goodhand, a hockey historian and retired Baptist minister.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canada/2007/05/29/4216597-sun.html

The prime minister answers the door himself.

"Come on in," he says. "Seeing as how it's noon, I suppose I'd better provide you some lunch."

And off to the kitchen they go.

"I have never seen a fridge so big," Goodhand says. "It was as big as one of those units you see in restaurants. The prime minister starts hauling food out of the fridge ... meat, lettuce, cheese -- enough to feed an army.

"And we each made our own sandwich."

Glen Goodhand took a cheese bun and made himself something modest in size. But not the prime minister.

"He stacked it up, like a Dagwood sandwich," he says, "and then popped it in the microwave for a few seconds.

"We then sat at the kitchen table and talked about nothing but hockey. For about an hour. He made me feel so much at ease that I almost forgot who I was talking to ... that I was sitting in the kitchen of 24 Sussex, having a sandwich and a glass of lemonade with the prime minister of Canada. It was quite unreal."

Yet another reason why Canada is the best country on the planet. :D

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Did you see the Mercer Report where Rick had a sleepover at the Prime Minister's residence?

Mercer playing with Harper's kids and yelling ""You're not the boss of me" at the Prime Minister of Canada is priceless. Rick Mercer is a genius.

http://www.cbc.ca/mercerreport/videos/harper_sleepover.wvx

Double J, you know Harper's working on a book about the early history of hockey, don't you?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Lucky Luc does it again. You gotta hand it to the guy.

Not bad for a guy who was drafted in the 9th round, five rounds AFTER Tom Glavine. (Glavine was also drafted by the Kings)

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Luc is one of the best cherry-picking goal scorers ever.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Sidney Crosby is officially the Pens' captain.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Youngest captain in NHL history.

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

What a great achievement for a young phenom from Dartmouth Nova Scotia ;D
    Crosby, Malkin and Fleury are the future of the franchise and all other NHL teams take notice, the Pens will form a dynasty in years to come with their young talent.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Dartmouth? He's from Cole Harbour I thought

9. blueview

blueview Member

Resurrecting the thread ...

Didn't realize this was now 10 years ago - the limo crash that severely injured former Detroit Red Wing Vladimir Konstantinov days after the Wings won the 1997 Stanley Cup. Konstantinov was arguably the best Russian player who balanced skill and sheer aggression.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070610/SPORTS05/706100614&imw=Y

10. Flash

Flash Guest

That was funny but it didn't match Mercer's trip to Harvey's with Chretien.

Aye, JR. You are correct. Sid's one of the nicest kids I ever interviewed.

Holy crap ... gettin' old.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

12. Flash

Flash Guest

[​IMG]

Couldn't find a link ... it was right after the G8 protests ... Mercer asked Chretien if he'd like pepper spray on his hamburger ... priceless ...
    Mercer got Chretien to recite his portfolio and as the then-PM droned on about his 100 or so years in politics, Mercer loudly sucked the last bits of milkshake through a straw.

Draft saved Draft deleted