1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Hockey Thread III

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Jan 26, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Seems like a logical time, coming out of the All-Star break. Didn't we stop I at 40 pages?

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Jordan Staal is really picking it up since being moved up to a scoring line. Scored his 16th tonight.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Brodeur is just having an amazing season. I didn't see much of this game, but he got his ninth shutout, blanking the Lightning. Once again he helps New Jersey score with only two goals, and one of those was an empty-netter.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'll say it before and I'll say it again: If he doesn't win MVP, the league needs to stop awarding the trophy. As he is on a nighly basis, Marty was superb.

Nope. The original thread went over 200 pages.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Oops. Must be thinking of baseball.

and I still say Crosby for MVP
    /pens fanboy

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Recchi scores his 500th career goal tonight in Dallas. Crowd gave him a standing O.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not that I care one way or another but why do we have yet another All Purpose Hockey Thread?

Since he posted it over at the writer's workshop thread, I think I can post it here without being accused of an outing: our man FOF has just started his own hockey blog and it's pretty damn good.

http://garejoycesgames.blogspot.com/

Best part is, he talks about things other than the NHL, like European, junior and NCAA hockey.

Here's my favorite entry about The Worst Game of the Season that he'd seen, one in Sweden.

European pro league games are like European art-house films. If you can say that you've seen them, you might get points for a broad world view--but you wonder if it was really worth it

and this is terrific:

The game was awful. There was likely more hard hitting over at Stars on Ice than there was in this Swedish Elite League game. No forechecking whatsoever. In fact, when a defenceman would take the puck behind the net, the other team would leave the ice en masse and substitute five players, one of them actually skating as far forward as the opponents' blueline. A few times a defenceman wouldn't even bother to go behind the net to leave the puck for a forward circling back--he'd leave it in front of the net, about ten feet in front of the crease. Not like there was any danger that someone might chase it down--trap is not just the default mode, more like a matter of genetic coding.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

We're going to a SO in Dallas:
    Pens (1-5 in SO) vs. Fightin' Jokinens (5-1)

Edit: And that's why they don't play them on paper. Pens win.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I thought 40 pages was the normal cutoff. It was for baseball. I screwed up. We can always just ignore it.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nuh, let's just ignore I and II.
    You're probably right, anyway.
    After forty pages, it gets unwieldy

Edit: Or Mr. Mustard, maybe rename this one to something like "Post All-Star Break Hockey Thread".

11. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Dammit, my All Purpose Hockey thread got SHAFTED! I demand JUSTICE! STARMAN!!!

:)

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Brodeur made a couple of outstanding saves tonight. Had the game on in the office, and he's the reason they're having such a great season.

Draft saved Draft deleted