1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose Herman Cain fun thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Re: Herman Cain's sexual harassment history

McCain had the lobbyist innuendo in the NYT, along with the W. scorched earth rumor that he had a mixed race child out of wedlock.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Times was ready to run with that story and McCain beat them down with all kinds of threats.

3. Dick Whitman

In that case, you either run it or you don't. What the Times eventually ran was embarrassing.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What the NYT did there was terrible. McCain's not perfect, but he didn't deserve that shit by any stretch.

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain for the first time has offered a detailed recollection of what led an employee of the National Restaurant Association to lodge a sexual harassment charge against him when he was CEO of the organization.

Cain spoke in response to detailed questioning from Fox News' Greta van Susteren, who led Cain through the facts of the case in an extended interview. That interview was taped to be shown on Fox Monday night.

Cain told van Susteren that he remembered one woman who was a writer in the Association's communications department. "I can't even remember her name, but I do remember the formal allegation she made in terms of sexual harassment," Cain said. "I turned it over to my general counsel and one of the ladies that worked for me, the woman in charge of human resources. They did investigate…and it was found to be baseless."

Van Susteren asked Cain how often he saw the woman. "I might see her in the office because her office was on the same floor as my office," Cain said. Van Susteren asked whether the woman traveled with Cain, who spent a lot of time on the road speaking to restaurant associations around the country. "No, never," Cain said.

Cain said the woman was "younger than I was," but he could not recall her age. Pressed, he said, "It would have had to have been late 30s, early 40s."

Van Susteren asked what Cain did that led to the accusation. There were reportedly more than one accusations in the complaint, but Cain said he recalled just one incident. "She was in my office one day, and I made a gesture saying -- and I was standing close to her -- and I made a gesture saying you are the same height as my wife. And I brought my hand up to my chin saying, 'My wife comes up to my chin.'" At that point, Cain gestured with his flattened palm near his chin. "And that was put in there [the complaint] as something that made her uncomfortable," Cain said, "something that was in the sexual harassment charge."

Van Susteren asked whether the woman complained at the time. "I can't recall any comment that she made, positive or negative."

Cain also offered new information about the settlement of the case. Politico, which broke the sexual harassment allegation story, said that the woman received a money settlement "in the five-figure range." When van Susteren asked about that, Cain said, "My general counsel said this started out where she and her lawyer were demanding a huge financial settlement…I don't remember a number…But then he said because there was no basis for this, we ended up settling for what would have been a termination settlement." When van Susteren asked how much money was involved, Cain said. "Maybe three months' salary. I don't remember. It might have been two months. I do remember my general counsel saying we didn't pay all of the money they demanded."

As for reports that a second woman also complained about his behavior, Cain said, "I am totally unaware as to any formal charges coming from this other person." Cain said he was told the woman's name by reporters at Politico. "I have no knowledge that she made a formal complaint," Cain said.

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/cain-details-gesture-led-sex-charge

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds like a liar to me.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What's the evidence that Politico is a "right-leaning" site?

I find it plays pretty straight down the middle. In fact, I've seen both sides complain that it leans towards the other side. If it's pissing off both sides, that's a pretty good case that it's fair.

And, while I could see someone arguing one way or the other, I'm surprised to see you describing it this way so matter-of-factly.

8. Dick Whitman

Actually, YF, I don't much notice a bias when I read it. In fact, none at all. I see it frequently described as a right-leaning site and thought that was accepted knowledge. Maybe not.

9. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

The president and CEO of Politico is Fred Ryan who was Reagan's chief of staff (post-presidency) and chairs Reagan's library board of trustees.

10. YankeeFan

Meanwhile, Rush Limbaigh calls it mouthpiece for the Obama White House.

I think they take leaks from all sides.

If you want to get something out there, you want it to run in either the New York Times or the Washington Post.

If they won't take it, you give it to Politico. Everyone in politics reads it, and it will get picked up elsewhere as a result.

In my mind, they're almost the TMZ of politics. I don't see that as being biased one way or the other.

I saw one of their editors on MSNBC today, and he said they got a tip, but wouldn't get into where the tip cam from. (Though, when it comes to politics, I almost feel like the press ought to at least broadly identify where a tip came from.)

11. YankeeFan

So? Does he involve himself in editorial decisions?

Do you think John Harris or Jim VandeHei would work for him if he did?

They like to break news. If there's a bias to that, I haven't seen it.

They've also addressed the charge head on: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0307/3013.html

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh, as long as they've addressed the charge, very well then.

Fox News has also "addressed the charge" that it's a GOP house organ.

Draft saved Draft deleted