1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Fantasy Baseball 2021 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 16, 2021.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I just realized Guerrero is no longer eligible at 3B, just 1b, where I have Alonso. So as of now, Biggio (who is also 2b and OF eligible) is my only 3B option.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I love the trade.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sounds like you should be trying to move Guerrero, but that makes the trade look even better. I think you should take it.

4. bigpern23

I may have to think about it, but I admit to being somewhat emotionally invested in his former Uber-prospect status. Plus, he's so cheap that if he can realize that potential, I'm going to be sitting pretty. Reports about him losing 25 lbs and looking more athletic than last year have me cautiously optimistic, but for now, he's a bench stash that I can either trade or capitalize on if he's productive.

5. outofplace

That makes sense. I wouldn't move him unless you are getting strong value in return. The way people value him is going to vary quite a bit. In your place, I'd put him on the block and see if someone will overpay. If not, wait and hope the weight loss really does help him live up to that Uber-prospect hype.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. bigpern23

Just completed my first draft of the season. Feeling pretty good about it, although I wish I had one guaranteed stud pitcher. Glad I kept Alonso and Burnes over Paddack and Framber Valdez. Wound up grabbing Paddack in the 7th round (would have had him in the 10th if I kept him) anyway, and Valdez got hurt the day after our keepers locked.

Roster below by round (keepers in bold):
    1. (1) Mike Trout (LAA - OF)
    2. (24) Javier Báez (ChC - SS)
    3. (25) Giancarlo Stanton (NYY - OF)
    4. (48) Lance Lynn (CWS - SP)
    5. (49) Max Muncy (LAD - 1B,2B,3B)
    6. (72) Matt Olson (Oak - 1B)
    7. (73) Chris Paddack (SD - SP)
    8. (96) Pete Alonso  (NYM - 1B)
    9. (97) Dansby Swanson (Atl - SS)
    10. (120) Trevor Rosenthal (Oak - RP)
    11. (121) Jonathan Villar (NYM - 2B,SS)
    12. (144) Marcus Stroman (NYM - SP)
    13. (145) Christian Vázquez (Bos - C,1B)
    14. (168) Kyle Lewis (Sea - OF)
    15. (169) Blake Treinen (LAD - RP)
    16. (192) Amir Garrett (Cin - RP)
    17. (193) Ronald Acuña Jr.  (Atl - OF)
    18. (216) Gleyber Torres  (NYY - 2B,SS)

19. (217) Jo Adell (LAA - OF)
    20. (240) Manuel Margot (TB - OF)
    21. (241) Walker Buehler  (LAD - SP)
    22. (264) Lucas Giolito  (CWS - SP)

23. (265) Justus Sheffield (Sea - SP)
    24. (288) Joey Bart (SF - C)
    25. (289) Corbin Burnes  (Mil - SP,RP)

7. outofplace

Your keeper choices seemed to work for you, especially cutting Valdez.

I like most of what you have there. You got some solid talent and some guys with big upside. Maybe the 11th round is too early to roll the dice on Villar. McNeil could end up playing a lot in the infield.

8. bigpern23

Yeah, I’m not super high on Villar, but I needed steals and with 72 keepers off the board guys tend to go earlier than you’d think. In fact, based on Yahoo projections, he kinda fell a few places to me.

9. outofplace

That makes sense. My money league is even deeper. We keep 112 veterans and 70 minor leaguers. (That is 14 teams with eight veterans and five minor leaguers each.) We end up with some insane price tags on guys, though part of that is also the occasional weirdness of an auction.

10. bigpern23

My title defense in my dynasty league is off to a lousy start after tonight's draft. We froze salaries because the shortened 2020 season, which meant that I could have kept my entire team from last season, minus two players because I had two guys on IL.

It was easy to drop Lugo and Myers, but that would have left me with a full roster, nearly full salary cap, and no draft picks. And where's the fun in that? Also, because of eligibility and roster minimums, I needed at least an RP, and a good 3B as a hedge for Biggio would have been nice.

After trying to swing trades to no avail, I chose not to keep Darvish ($17), Morton ($9) and Dunning ($1). I figured I could lock up a cheap reliever

Those guys and their combined $27 in salary ended up going for over $100 total. Meanwhile, I didn't get a single player I had targeted and wound up with a bunch of bums (and some salary relief). Definitely weakened my team.

11. bigpern23

I have an offer on the table of Ohtani (as a batter in Yahoo!) for Stroman straight up. Ohtani was a 15th rounder, so keeper potential if he can manage to stay healthy.

It’s early, so I haven’t really figured out my needs yet, but in a vacuum, whatcha think?

12. outofplace

STaying healthy is a very big if with Ohtani. That you have to use him in a utility spot also limits his value. It limits your flexibility going forward. Stroman's nothing special, so it may be worth a roll of the dice, but I'd stay away from Ohtani.

Draft saved Draft deleted