1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Fantasy Baseball 2021 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I was thinking that but catcher is so shallow. Would you keep Bohm or Smith?
    I'd take Trout.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I would keep Bohm. Unless MLB changes course and has a DH, Smith will likely lose some playing time.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agree with OOP. Bohm is the guy.

Catcher is super shallow, but that actually creates an argument against Smith. Unless you think he can produce like Realmuto, he's not notably different than Contreras, Perez, Vazquez, d'Arnaud or Murphy. Gary Sanchez could have a bounceback year and be an elite catcher, and Contreras can be a level above the rest, but basically the next six guys are pretty interchangeable. Most everyone in your league is going to be dealing with an average to below-average bat at the catcher position. I don't see Smith as anything better than that, so you can plug any of those other guys into his slot and get similar production.

Bohm could be a fucking stud.

4. bigpern23

Side note: Glad I kept Alonso, despite his high draft position, over Valdez who may be facing season-ending finger surgery.

5. Guy_Incognito

OK, I miscounted. One more from:

Ian Anderson
    Dom Smith
    Will Smith

6. outofplace

I would go with Will Smith. You said you need more hitting and Dom Smith has playing time concerns.

7. Guy_Incognito

That's what I was thinking. Thanks.

8. bigpern23

Speaking of Dom, don’t the Mets have to trade him? He seems too valuable to leave rotting on the bench.

9. bigpern23

Trade offer:

Trade away Scherzer ($36) and Morton ($9) for Arenado ($37) and Lynn ($5). Lynn and Morton would be pretty comparable, I think. Not sure if I want to trade away a stud pitcher, but Guerrero is my 3B this year and I don’t know if he’s going to take a step forward.

10. outofplace

I guess it depends on what kind of starting pitcher depth you have. Who replaces Scherzer?

I think Scherzer is into his decline. The injuries are starting to pile up. If it doesn't cripple your pitching, I'd take the deal.

Guy_Incognito likes this.
  11. bigpern23

I’ve got Dane Dunning, deGrom, Paddack, Snell, Darvish, Burnes, Sheffield, Fried, Plesac and Severino.

On the hitting side, I have Guerrero and Biggio both eligible at 3B.

12. outofplace

Both of those guys can be used at other positions, too, right? I like the trade mostly because I think it is time to bail on Scherzer. Of course, I could be way off base there. The velocity is still there and he looked good in his last outing in spring training. I just think the injuries are only going to get worse at his age, not better.

Arenado may lose some production with the move away from Coors Field, but you are still getting a hell of a hitter. Arenado is also seven years younger than Scherzer.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted