1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Fantasy Baseball 2021 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 16, 2021.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Acuna is the best player in that deal and having him at that round seems like too big of an advantage to surrender. Also, Tatis isn't available?

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No, Tatis has been rostered for like three years. He was drafted in the 21st round before the 2018 season. He's going to be a 14th-round keeper this season.

I agree with you on Acuna. Typing that out helped to make the case why it was better to keep him. I don't think there are two players in the first three rounds who are worth giving up the next 6-8 years of Acuna. Drafting the top overall pick in the back third of the draft, plus my regular first three picks, is worth more than two extra players I could get in the second and third rounds.

3. bigpern23

So I’m toying with the idea of instituting a $1 per add fee, which will go toward a weekly prize, hopefully keeping things interesting for teams that are out of it all season long. Each team is allowed only three adds per week, so it’s a cup of coffee.

My two ideas right now are the pot goes to whomever has the highest scoring player of the week. If two or more players tie, the pot rolls over to the following week. Or, we could do a bad beat jackpot, where a team that finishes second or third in points for the week but still loses would win the prize. The pot would roll over each week until it happens. It happened nine times in 22 weeks in 2019.

Any other ideas for a weekly prize that shitty teams might still have a chance to win?

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I have a league where I was really good for a bunch of years but let my team get old so I'm not so good anymore. I need to pick 10 keepers (no draft implications) today. Here are the most likely candidates, with my default choices bolded. What do you think?

Alex Bregman

Starling Marte

Matt Olson

Alec Bohm

Mike Yastrzemski

Byron Buxton

Mike Moustakas

Dominic Smith

Will Smith

Jacob deGrom

Trevor Bauer

Lucas Giolito

Max Scherzer

Brandon Woodruff

Kenley Jansen

Ian Anderson

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Which Will Smith? The catcher or the relief pitcher?

6. Guy_Incognito

Catcher

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

How many years do you keep them?

Is that a five-team league?

8. Guy_Incognito

As long as you want. 12 team league. You're impressed? I have no hitters.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Oh I thought those were players you were adding to your team.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I would be trading Max and Marte if you stink this year.

Bad teams, well, all dynasty teams should be trading declining players for youth.

Bohm and Buxton I would keep over an aging player.

11. Guy_Incognito

The ship has sailed on those. We're not allowed to trade pre-draft. I've been competitive, and not looking to rebuild completely. Same now. I've had a lot of Buxton over the years and am getting impatient. Bohm, I think I could probably get back in the draft later, but maybe not. Who wouldn't you keep?

12. bigpern23

I’d drop Will Smith and keep Bohm or Dom Smith.

I have first pick in one league, with Acuna, Torres, Alonso, Giolito, Buehler and Burnes as keeper.

Tell me why I shouldn’t take Trout.
    Also available are:
    Yelich
    Story
    Freeman
    Harper
    Machado
    Arenado
    LeMehieu
    deGrom
    Scherzer
    Kershaw