1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Purpose Fantasy Baseball 2021 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 16, 2021.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I figured you were quoting somebody. I just wasn't placing it.

2. outofplace

I have no idea. Perhaps he's just trying to see how much he can squeeze out of me. We'll find out. I'm putting in one last bid. If he passes, I get Bogaerts and I've still got enough left over to pick up a few decent guys to fill out my remaining roster spots. If he matches, then he is handcuffed and I have a lot of money to spend when the last round of players goes active at 12:01 a.m. Sunday morning.

3. outofplace

We are past the 23-hour mark again. Will he do it for the third day in a row? Will he shorten the time spare even more? The first time was 20 minutes before my bid went final. The second time was four minutes.
    Will he go for one!?

4. outofplace

Hey! He didn't do it this time. I got an insanely overpriced Bogaerts!

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"The greatest pleasure, when you break his ego, that's where it's at."

6. outofplace

And we just had a $69 bid for Nolan Arenado, who was the best player remaining. The funny thing is the previous bid had been $30 and it stood for 22 hours. The best part of it was the guy who had been messing with me is the one who just had Arenado snatched away from him. :)

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Updating my earlier post, we're now starting to see some ADP results, bringing the decision of who to keep into clearer focus. Below are the players I'm considering, followed by the round I will draft them in with their ADP in parentheses:
    Buehler 21 (2)
    Giolito 22 (2)
    Burnes 25 (5)
    Acuna 17 (1)
    Torres 18 (5)

Paddack 10 (7/8)
    Alonso 8 (4/5)
    Valdez 25 (8)
    Teoscar Hernandez 25 (6)

It seems a no-brainer to take Burnes at this point and Paddack in Round 10 isn't much of a value. If I want to grab him a round or two earlier to get him back, I'm not losing much draft value. Teoscar and Valdez both offer the greatest value. Hernandez broke out last season, but I'm not honestly sure he can sustain that level of production. Alonso would still be a good value at 8, especially since there are 72 players kept. He'll probably be more like a round 3 pick.

I guess it comes down to whether I think Valdez can match/exceed his production from last year vs. the more known quantity of Alonso.

8. bigpern23

A guy just offered me his first three draft picks for Acuna, who I get in the 17th round as a keeper. I also have the first overall pick. He has the third overall selection. That’s a tough call.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  9. bigpern23

Mulling this over and it would mean having six of the top 27 selections, or keeping Acuna and having essentially two No. 1 overall picks (Acuna plus the best player available) and three of the top 25 overall picks. Plus I get to hang onto Acuna for the foreseeable future.

Players who will definitely be available include: Trout, Yelich, deGrom, Arenado, Freeman, Story, and more. I'd probably have to go with Trout or Yelich to pair up alongside Acuna. That's a formidable start to an OF.

Also, looking at the rest of the guys who will be available, I'm not sure I'd feel so great about getting any of them as much as I'd hate losing Acuna.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Not sure why you'd part with him. I wouldn't.

11. bigpern23

Trade offer in my dynasty league:
    Darvish ($17) and Morton ($9) for Realmuto ($6) and Hader ($12). I’m not planning to keep Morton and need relief pitching. This would save me $8 in cap room, but I do have Willson Contreras, the No. 2-ranked catcher last season for $2, so Realmuto is a little redundant.

Should I do it?

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I would, but mostly because I'm skeptical on Darvish.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted