1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All MLB-Son Team

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Jun 24, 2007.

1. There's a blast from the past.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ozzie Virgil. Another fucking catcher.

And a guy probably only I remember: Robbie Wine (son of Bobby), who gave a young 5-year-old Buck-Dub one of his cracked bats during spring training, 1987. :D

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK. I cheated to come up with this one, but you can add Robb Nen as the closer.

He won't edge out Barry Bonds in RF, but for a time Danny Tartabull was better than people remember.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And a couple of old White Sox kids:

Ed Walsh Jr., Billy Sullivan Jr. (another fucking catcher kid), and Eddie Collins Jr. They all made the majors, but all sucked.

5. Would anyone put Gus Bell ahead of Alou?

Strike that. Just looked at Alou's stats. He's been busy the last decade ... :D

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

If I remember correctly, Smalley was supposed to be the Rangers' shortstop of the future, but I think he went to the Twins in a trade that brought Bert Blyleven to Texas. The Rangers picked up an aging Bert Campenaris from Finley's fire sale to fill the gap. But after Campy retired, the Rangers had a hideous succession of bad or mediocre shortstops pretty much all the way up until A-Rod's infamous tenure.

Speaking of those Rangers, let's add Bump Wills to the postseason roster as a pinch runner.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Whither Robbie Thompson? Serviceable middle infielder.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Elster's contribution was most welcome. That first-ever division champ Rangers team (96) included a few guys who were playing somewhat over their heads.

Rangers had mixed luck with ex-Mets. Lee Mazzilli: bad idea. Jon Matlack: good idea. I think Mazzilli came over when Lenny Randle punched manager Frank Lucchesi and got shipped hastily to Shea. Not sure though. I was just a kid at the time. Carry on...

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Absolutely great guy, decent hitter.
    Once referred to by Yankees manager Bob Lemon as "the mummy I have playing shortstop," a reference to Smalley's (non-existent) range.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Did Barry Bonds ever even play in right field?

I know Alou has, so maybe you could just flip-flop them.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Who's the manager?

Draft saved Draft deleted