1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Los Angeles schools closed after bomb threat called in to board member

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 15, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

L.A. is a little jumpy right now.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

JayFarrar would have known immediately that the author of the emails was to truly radical Muslim:

Los Angeles public schools were ordered closed Tuesday after a bomb threat was sent to education officials — but NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton slammed the response as a “significant overreaction.”

Hours after Los Angeles officials abruptly shut down their schools, Bratton revealed New York received the same anonymous email threat but investigators quickly determined that it was a hoax.

Among the tip-offs: the “A” in Allah wasn’t capitalized in the email promising an attack, an error no true jihadist would make, Bratton said.

Other red-flags emerged after the NYPD learned Los Angeles had decided to close its schools, and the two police departments compared the threats.

The emails sent to both cities were identical except for the last line stating the location of the attack, and the writer claimed to be a student who was bullied for four years in each city, a police source told the Daily News.

"The letters are the same email,” the source said, noting that the threats also contained references to guns and explosives that suggested a lack of knowledge about them.

LA schools close due to threat; NYPD calls it 'overreaction'

4. YankeeFan

Email arrived earlier that I realized. You'd think they would have had enough time to realize it wasn't a credibe threat:

The threats arrived at the same time on opposite sides of the country.

Shortly after 10 Monday night — about 1 a.m. on the East Coast — public school officials in Los Angeles and New York received nearly identical emails promising imminent attacks on campuses involving explosives and gunmen.

The immediate response in both cities was the same: Call the police and the FBI.

There, however, the parallels ended.

An hour before the sun rose in Los Angeles, the head of the sprawling school district made the dramatic decision to close the district's more than 900 schools for the day, upending the routines for 640,000 students and setting off a massive response as police began to scour campuses.

L.A. defends response to threat that New York dismissed as a hoax

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was reported last night on one of the networks that the school department made its decision to close before they consulted the LA cops. Public school administrators everywhere are the most risk-averse, ass-covering folks there are. But the LA cops stuck up for them because New York's snide attitude pissed them off.

6. YankeeFan

But they didn't announce the closure until school busses had started to roll. That doesn't make sense.

And, I understand being risk averse if you're a school system, but it would be insane if they decided to close the entire system without the input from the LAPD and the FBI.

I guess the school district has their own police department, but I wouldn't expect them to have the level of expertise in this area that the FBI has. And, something like a lowercase "A" in Allah really is a dead give away.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The credibe threats are the worst. Because they're credibe.

8. YankeeFan

Pointing out every typo is more useless than OOP's hall monitor act.

I'm a poor speller, and I type worse than I spell. It's not a secret.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

YankeeFan and his fellow Republicans incessantly warn us every day that Mooslem terrorists are on the march, and that we must be afraid, very afraid. And vigilant.

The lone exception is when a public school system goes ahead and follows their advice.

Then they are candy asses.

10. YankeeFan

I want people who can make smart, fact based decisions.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Do the work. You demand it of others.

12. YankeeFan

I demand no one misspell a word, or have a typo?

Draft saved Draft deleted