1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All hail the Prince!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 26, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Congrats to Prince Fielder on not only being the youngest player to hit 50 HRs in a season, but also being one-half of the first father-son combo to both hit 50 bombs in a season. Too bad he can't stand his old man.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Fielder said he had no intention of keeping the 50th home run ball, but was hoping for No. 52.

"My dad had 51 (as a season high)," Fielder said. "Then, he can't say anything."

Fielder was not happy about comments his father made in a magazine article earlier in the year, claiming his son never would have been a first-round draft pick if he hadn't paved the way. The two haven't spoken for years and that rift apparently has widened.

That subject resurfaced when Fielder was asked about the "MVP!" chants at Miller Park and if he thought much about winning that award.

"It would be a cool award to get but that's not something I think about," he said, "besides the fact my dad never did it. If I do get it, that shuts him up again."

Fielder said he was "serious" about trumping his father, adding, "A lot of people said that's the only reason I got drafted. That's what drives me. People said I was too big and all this, and the only reason I got drafted was because of the name.

"That's why I'm so passionate about playing. I don't mind people comparing me to him but I'm a completely different player. One day I want people to mention my name and not have to mention his."

As for the recent comments from his father, Fielder said, "You've got to look at who's saying it. Let's be honest. He's not really the brightest guy."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=667470

3. boots

boots New Member

This is so sad for so many different reasons. Prince and Cecil both need counseling. I hate reading about this because I feel deep inside, they both love each other. Prince wants to stand on his own merits. Cecil is proud of him but taught him the game.
    No one wins in this scenerio. I hope they realize it before it's too late.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Fuck. Those are some harsh words. I hope Prince does come back year after year and prove he's in the bigs because he can flat-out rake and not because of his last name -- although I'm sure having those bloodlines didn't hurt any bit, especially for some of the talent. But no one likes to be in someone's shadows. And if he can continue to hit the home runs and produce the runs, I don't see why he'd be compared to his father for much longer.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The reason the rift is so so wide isn't simply because of this. HBO's Real Sports did a great piece on this. When Cecil's wife was in the hospital, Cecil had to take over the checkbook. Problem was, he squandered away the family's money on gambling debts. They basically lost it all, and allegedly Cecil didn't show much remorse about it, among other things.

6. boots

boots New Member

Oz, I know the story. The womanizing. All of that. And yet there is a part of the story that isn't being told. The rift in the Fielder family is ugly. I pray that it doesn't take a catastrophe before they realize how much they mean to each other.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So what part of the Fielders' story has not been told yet?

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The story all about how his life got flipped, turned up side down?

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I always liked Cecil, but it is pretty cool to see Prince stand up for himself. And it is really cool to see a young guy hit so many bombs. I just hope he doesn't pass Arod because I am a fanboy.
    Other than that, I hope the Brew Crew makes the playoffs and Prince hits a few more 450-foot bombs.
    Good stuff.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Doesn't look good for the Brewers. Amazing they've done as well as they have considering Sheets has been out so much and whatever it was that happened to Capuano. But they'll compete for the division title for a long time with their young core group. Fielder, only 23, has had an MVP-caliber season on the field and has become the undisputed leader in the clubhouse.

11. Mira

Mira Member

When Prince played in the Brewers' farm system team in Beloit a guy approached him, and Prince thought the dude wanted an autograph. Dude was actually looking for Cecil to serve some court papers, and wanted Prince to help find him.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did I just hear Doc scream?

Draft saved Draft deleted