1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-conference football

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Nov 5, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Your color is blue, but sadly, I think it could be serious

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Twenty-four players for football (offense [5 interior linemen, ONE QB, two RBs] and defensive lineup, plus a kicker/punter).

Five players for basketball (At least one point guard and one low-post player).

Thirteen players for baseball (8 position players, a DH and four pitchers).

My rule has always been that your all-area team should be a team which could actually play a game.

Coach of the Year: ONE, and ONLY one. These guys get enough ego inflation as it is.

Second team, I have the same team sizes, but less restrictive on positions.

Honorable mention: Anybody who walks on the field without tripping over his/her shoelaces.

Never never never, any "ties" for any selection (POY or COY). Have some balls and make a pick.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Amen brother! I like how you pick...we are pretty close..

I had a chat with one of the coaches from the league that gave out 21 Second Team honors. He said it was all because of...ready for this...TIES!

Again, coaches...have some balls...quit putting Johnny up for Second Team when you only won 1 game all season! An All-Area Team should be a representation of a "real" team...not a way to make mom and dad happy.

Sometimes, I hate my job.

4. KoM

KoM Member

Another thing that kills me ... some schools will call us in their team postseason team honors and will have three Most Improved.

I always ask them, "You realize, by definition, you can only have one 'Most' anything?"

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Couple of things from the postseason so far:

• Grandmother of a local high school volleyball player called and wondered why we didn't cover the team's postseason banquet (her daughter received the Best Server award and she thought that would make a good story). Threw out the "all you ever read about our kids is negative stuff, this is something positive" line.

• Just got an all-district football team that was not selected by position. Each school got a number of selections based on where they finished.

6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

... if you know what I mean.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Once, when picking an all-state team, we found ourselves with three quarterbacks who actually deserved first-team honors. One was made the QB, another the "utility" player. But what to do with the third? Then someone said, "doesn't he punt fairly well?" Yup. First-team all-state punter. Bet that looked interesting in his college media guide profile.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Honestly, throwing in a utility player isn't the worst thing in the world. Most of the teams we cover have play ironman, so this works.

Our utility this year is a QB that can pass, run, punt and is a decent DB.

9. [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted