1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Bennigan's Restaurants Closing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Steak and Ale was owned by Pillsbury for a while. Worked there in high school and in college. My original manager and the district manager are two of the three who opened their own chain that has been a little more successful - Outback (also Bonefish and Carraba's).

Steak and Ale was pretty good for a while. I went years without going to one and then ended up in one on the road, somewhere in Florida. It could not have sucked harder.

Never once been in a Bennigan's.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah some in my state are staying open too.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Not a restaurant, per se, but it wouldn't shock me to see Cold Stone Creamery out of existence in the next few years.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article_email/SB121321718319265569-lMyQjAxMDI4MTEzNjIxMTY3Wj.html

4. I feel sorry for all the employees, but Bennigan's severely regressed the past several years. I might have managed to go three times in the last five years and either left disappointed at the food or pissed off at the service all three times.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Say it isn't so.

Cold Stone ice cream is the best-tasting shit EVER. Of course, it's also obesity in a cup. But you can't picture any regrets as you're sucking one of those puppies down.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

One of the Steak & Ale restaurants in Orlando went up in flames last night. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Last time I went to Bennigan's was in the early 1990s with my roommate in Orlando. We both ordered the chicken burrito. About five minutes later, I look up at him and say, "This tastes like a sweatsock." He said, "Dude, I was thinking the same thing."

Fin.

Story and (many) Bennigan's.

8. The one near our place, in retrospect, was the canary in the coal mine.

It closed about 18 months ago. I just figured it was because they have 2-for-1 drink specials... every night of the week. $2 pints of everything. So essentially, I could buy two pints of Sam Adams or Fat Tire or whatever for $1 apiece.

Farewell, Turkey O'Toole.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Preach on, brother. I guess I have to make it my mission to keep that place afloat!

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Closest one to me (a corporate location, now closed) had lethargic help, and mediorce, overpriced food. The one really good deal they had -- happy-hour crab cakes -- they naturally discontinued. Won't be missed.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You've spelled out the problems with most of these places -- your Fridays, your Max 'n' Erma's, your seemingly zillions of chains with junkyard shit on the walls and waitstaff who grudingly sing some bastardized version of "Happy Birthday." The food isn't good enough for the prices they charge, so you feel like you may as well hit a fast-food joint, or spend a few extra bucks for something a little nicer.

Applebee's I could see surviving this shakeout because its menu is fairly reasonably priced, for what it is.

12. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

It always made me uncomfortable driving past the Bennigans that forever_town was referring to when the BEN was burned out, making it just say NIGANS.

Draft saved Draft deleted