1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Area themes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fnerry, May 18, 2007.

1. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Seconded.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

All-area teams are made of fail. You can't get the people to show up for photos, you'll put ungodly hours in picking the teams, compiling the stats and writing the copy, and your reward will be a voicemailbox loaded to the hilt with WHY DIDN'T YOU NAME MY DAUGHTER TO THE FIRST TEAM SHE WORKS AS HARD AS ANYONE ELSE AND JUST BECAUSE YOU AND THE COACHES CAN'T SEE THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT NOT TRUE AND WHY COME YOU HAVE SIX PLAYERS FROM CENTER CITY HIGH BUT ONLY FOUR FROM EAST MOUNTAIN HIGH DID YOU GET LAID FOR THE FIRST TIME BY A CENTER CITY WHORE I BET YOU DID F*** YOU *click*

Best way to handle it: just run all the rosters for all the teams in your area under the banner "EVERYONE'S A CHAMPION". And that's that.

3. As a veteran of many All-Area teams, I agree that using a theme isn't the best idea. Even the best themes are going to rub some the wrong way and they probably aren't worth the extra work/thought.
    Get some names, pictures and stats and call it good.

4. Master of the obvious statement of the day: It's a best in the area theme. If it's presented cleanly and provokes some discussion, the section or pull-out has served its purpose.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Just. Don't.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One to stay away from- "Most Wanted" posters.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I just know somebody, somewhere, will try to do All-Area teams done up like a MySpace page.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

8. John

John Well-Known Member

With a bunch of creepy 45-year-old men posing at 16-year-olds.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

High school lesbianism is hot

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Not if they look like most high school softball players.

11. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Brilliant idea.

I don't do themes. Waste of time because nobody in my area seems to give a shit. I get no compliments. I get no complaints. Total apathy. To the point, that we're considering this season as our last to do this. Wouldn't hurt my feelings a damn bit.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

such an angry little man. all he did was ask a question.

Draft saved Draft deleted