1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-Area headache No. 9,283: wimping out on picks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We do 26 for all-county and all-area football (11 offense, 11 defense, a punter, kicker, returnman and all-purpose). I'll always ask coaches not for nominations, but for who we'll look stupid if we leave off. An all-state lineman, a defensive lineman who only had 50 tackles but tied up two blockers every play and is being recruited, that sort of thing.
    And when it comes to all-area, we make an effort to get stats from all of our schools. But if everything is even, preference definitely goes to the ones who have called us all year.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's another pet peeve.

If you're picking a high school all-star team, the selections should be based strictly on what the players do in high school competition. Who gets offered scholarships is often based on what players do at camps and on off-season club teams.

We had a kid in our area this year who is getting a ride to a Top 10 program. Rumors have it the college coaches sent down word that the kid was only to play a certain number of plays per game, only play on defense or return kicks on very limited occasions, etc etc -- they wanted to protect him from injury -- so the kid ended up playing, in effect, about half-time.

He still rushed for 1,200 yards or so, scored 15 TDs, etc., but it was about half of what he could/should have done, and his team went 6-4. But his coaches still pumped him for POY, despite there was a kid across town who rushed for 2,000 and 25 TDs and his team went 14-1. "But our guy is going to Bigtime University!!!" was the argument.

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i hope you picked the kid who rushed for 2,000.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And if you cop out and pick "an athlete" be damn sure it's an athlete and not a fill in for a second quarterback, a fourth running back.....

5. All of this depends on how big your area is.

Fortunately, I pick only one all-star team, once a decade.

Unfortunately, it's 1,980 schools over a period of 10 years!

Here's the one I did six years ago.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Once, a co-worker was absolutely convinced that two Podunk kids deserved a share of the all-area basketball POY. I told him no way, that's a copout, we're not going to do that. So the debate goes on and on when I finally asked him who the coach thought deserved it.

Minutes later, Podunk's coach gave us an answer -- the one kid was good, but he wouldn't have been near as great without the other one to open opportunities. There was no hesitation in his answer, we got out of that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted