1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All about the E-A-G-L-E-S

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Mar 15, 2007.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Re: Eagles get Kevin Curtis

Walker plays in spurts. Two games he's good, two games he's invisible. That's my issue. The Eagles have lots of players like that. Dawkins (more b/c he's aging), L.J. Smith, Trent Cole. It's time to trim the fat and Walker is the first guy that should be sliced. L.J. is next after his contract expires this season.

Patterson is decent, but to me that's all he looks like he's going to be. McDougle is gone and Bunkley needs to step up big time this year.

The guy I think the Eagles might have their eye on for O is Ben Patrick from Delaware. Good tight end that's athletic and can actually block. Maybe in the second round.

2. Re: Eagles get Kevin Curtis

Dude, you got a West Coast offense (spreads the ball around) and a rotating defensive line ... it's not always going to be the same guys making all the plays ... Dawkins still brings it every game and until the No.1s can outplay him, Walker deserves his spot ... and Trent Cole had a hell of a year, especially for someone who doesn't play every defensive down ... jeez ...

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Calm down WB. I'm with you man. Big Eagles fan, season ticket holder since 95. All I'm saying is there are a bunch of guys that get a lot of pub that don't deserve ALL of it. Some yes, but not ALL.

Dawkins is a Hall of Famer, but where was he in the playoffs? Yes Cole did have a good year, but you're mistaken - well kind of. He did play pretty much every down during the middle third of the year with no Kearse and after they realized McDougle wasn't going to give them anything. That's when Cole wore down and Jim Johnson realized he needed to get Juqua in there. Cole sure is going to make a lot of money to be a situational pass rusher. Walker was great against the Cowboys? How many times do they play them a season? How about those great games he had against Jacksonville or Tennessee or both Saints games?

As far as the offense, L.J. Smith is a lot like Jason Dunn (if you're a true Eagles fan you'll remember him). A lot of talent, but no consistency. Trust me, I know they run a West Coast offense and if Smith were open more he'd get the ball on a more consistent basis instead of 15 in three games and then five in four games.

4. Re: Eagles get Kevin Curtis

i think not

Dunn = 40 catches & 4 TDs in three years with Eagles
    Smith = 172 catches & 14 TDs in four years with Eagles and Pro Bowl alternate in 2006

5. Re: Eagles get Kevin Curtis

Eagles just signed "Wire-Knee" Buckhalter to a two-year extension. No Dillon. Sigh.

Have to imagine they'll pick up a project in the later rounds and replace Mahe.

6. Re: Eagles get Kevin Curtis

it wasn't an extension. buckhalter was an unrestricted free agent. it's only considered an extension if a player is still under contract

7. Re: Eagles get Kevin Curtis

You're right. Congratulations.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

You know....You sure do know a lot about the Eagles......OUTING ALERT: Melock is Sal Paolantonio :)

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Kevin Curtis is a No. 3 at best. This won't help the Eagles.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Please explain that one. The guy played behind Bruce and Holt in St. Louis. He's fast, tough, smart and has good hands. Seems like a good player to me, but maybe I don't know something you do.

And wow Write then drink you got me on my poor comparison to Dunn and L.J. I could have sworn Dunn had one big season and then never again. I think I was thinking of Chris T. Jones. My bad.

Still not a huge fan of Smith though. It would seem the Eagles aren't either since he's heading into the final year of his contract and didn't get an extension like his draft classmates.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I like this move. I know Buckhalter's knee is shitty, but he looked good last year and should be even better this year if healthy. Like I've said before the Eagles spent all that time and money rehabbing him so why not keep him around.

[blue] And just a hunch, but I think they'll get by without Reno in the fold. Just a guess, but I feel OK about it. [/blue]

12. Re: Eagles get Kevin Curtis

Reno's a utility guy. He served his purpose.

Draft saved Draft deleted