1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alice in Chains returns ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Claws for Concern, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Story in Argus Leader (Sioux Falls, South Dakota) newspaper about Alice in Chains performing at the Sioux Falls Fair. It's the three living members of the band with an unknown singer. Question I have for you all is ... would you go?

www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060810/ENT/608100332/1005

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Layne Staley made that band, but for novelty's sake, I'd check it out. An who knows, maybe it's a well-known singer and he can pull it off. Didn't Maynard from Tool front the band last year for a few shows?

3. Claws for Concern

I kind of think the writer should have done a bit more research to find out more about the new singer.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

To Sioux Falls? Hell no.

To Alice In Chains? Probably wouldn't have seen them in their prime much less now. Never floated my boat much. Not to mention that any band that re-forms without their best-known lead singer usually sucks ass.

5. That Rolling Stone cover with Layne was so incredibly sad to me at the time. The look in his eyes.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I've mentioned this before, but I'll take AIC over any of the "Grunge" bands, or any other band that hit big in the early to mid-90s, for that matter. And while Cantrell made a huge contribution, the band can never be the same without Staley.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hate to break it to you, but Alice In Chains flew the grunge flag as high as anyone else did.

In fact, before Pearl Jam and Nirvana, they were among the many bands who were credited with the genesis of the grunge sound.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I put Grunge in quotes to help define the genre I was referring to, not refute it.

9. To me, Alice in Chains has held up the least of all the grunge bands from the 90s.
    Of course, among said bands AIC probably skewed more toward metal than the others, so that probably colors my view.

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Seemed like Alice in Chains was the semi-public face of grunge before Nirvana went huge. I remember as a kid, listening to The End in Seattle (this was 1990-91) and they'd be plugging this band I had never heard of, and it was AIC. Then they did a concert scene in "Singles." Pretty sure Green River was still playing then and Nirvana was probably still a year away from becoming the adored children of the movement.

Went to school with Jerry Cantrell's brother ... or at least a kid who claimed to be Jerry Cantrell's brother. Don't know why he would lie about it. Was hardly getting him laid at our high school, at least not at that time.

11. Claws for Concern

I think I still have that issue in a box somewhere. I agree completely.

12. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

"Would?" is a really good song, but there's no way I pony up cash to see AIC now even if they were all still around.

Draft saved Draft deleted