1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alcohol in the clubhouse?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 14, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Re: Alcohol is the clubhouse?

We get free beer. Many of you out there know that. We also get the per diem. We get to watch and review a show for free.
    Damn, what more do you want?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Please.

Drinking alcohol isn't intrinsically unhealthy.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I didn't say it was. The point is, providing alcohol in the clubhouse runs counter to the team's interests. They do everything they can to keep their players in the best possible physical condition, with trainers, masseuses, team doctors, etc. Then they turn around and give them free beer? It's just not logical.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I get free beer all the time. I just write any story someone wants if they buy me drinks at the bar.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No, it actually is in the team's interest. It keeps up morale--and is one of those small gestures that encourages team-building.

Having a couple of pops after a game isn't going to contribute to the physical deterioration of the athletes any more than having the odd Big Mac would.

I

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

And if teams had a huge supply of free Big Macs after every game, people would say that it was stupid to encourage athletes to eat junk food. Same with alcohol.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Please, these are grown men of legal drinking age, having a beer after a game. Half don't even touch the stuff. Almost all understand their bodies better than 99 percent of the population. They can handle a beer...and if you're management, you want them having it right there, instead of in a bar somewhere.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I would hope that most teams would recognize their players aren't just robots. Maybe they should cut out the Bazooka Joe and Sunday donuts too. After all the "fitness movement" has done wonders for the game. A guy in his 40s is threatening to break the home run record!

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Why haven't any of these teams showed a similar concern for the 25,000 fans driving home after who knows how many?

It's an easy answer: $.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

You can get free beer after covering some college football teams. I don't do it, but I don't think people who have one with the SIDs in the pressbox after a game are crossing any big ethical lines.

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Next thing you know, someone's going to suggest that ballplayers play cards for money in the clubhouse...

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I know you're kidding, but the "free" stuff isn't really free. They pay the clubhouse guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted