1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Albuquerque Nights: The Ballad Of Al and Bobby

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Unser family was a reality TV show train wreck before reality TV show train wrecks were reality TV show train wrecks ...

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Racing veterans Al Unser Sr. and Bobby Unser were arrested Wednesday after sheriff’s deputies said the brothers ignored orders to leave an area where authorities had cornered a carjacking suspect.
    The Bernalillo County sheriff’s department said the suspect led police on a high-speed chase while shooting at them Wednesday morning. The man eventually crashed into a car on the city’s west side and later shot himself.
    During the standoff, authorities had cordoned off a road named after the Unser family.
    Deputies said Al Unser Sr. started to go through the roadblock to get home when deputies warned him to stop. Bobby Unser, who was in a separate vehicle, also refused to leave.
    “They simply told them numerous times to leave the area and they simply refused to do so,” said Erin Kinnard Thompson, a spokeswoman for the sheriff’s department. “We’re not talking about a situation where we’re trying to catch a shoplifter. This was a serious and dangerous situation.”
    Both men were arrested for resisting arrest and obstructing officers. They were booked into the Metropolitan Detention Center and later released.
    Bobby Unser said he plans to contact Sheriff Darren White to tell his side of the story.
    The two Unsers have seven Indianapolis 500 wins between them.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I hope video of this exists. What a shame that family is all FUBARed.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

They were just there waiting for Maurice Clarett to arrive.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Goddamnit BYH. I went back to check which city Clarett was arrest in and you beat me to it. Shitfuck. :)

5. Bubbler

This is true, but I'd still pay good money to see Bobby bitch slap Sam Posey.

Lord knows he verbally emasculated Posey all those years on ABC.

As for Al, it reminds me of the Law & Order SVU (or was it one of the other ones, I dunno) where the little brother of a serial killer supposedly killed someone just to fit in with the rest of the clan.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Seriously, what are the odds that two members of the Unser family do something stupid enough to warrant their arrest and neither one of them is Al Jr.?

7. Bubbler

That's really two sets of odds.

Unser family doing something stupid: 1 to 5
    Without Al Jr.: google to 1.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I loved my Albuquerque nights. Great, wonderful, high-flyin' nights.

And not just because of the Liquid Lounge.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

"I knew I should have taken that left turn in Albuquerque."

[​IMG]

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

With Bugs, it more like "Alboocoykey"

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Yeah, and I gues iot should be "left toin" too.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It takes a special brand of screwed up to get arrested on a city street named after yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted