1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Albums You Forgot Were That Darn Good

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Mizzougrad already mentioned it, but mine is Smashing Pumpkins -- Siamese Dream. About the first beautiful day of every spring, I feel the insatiable urge to crank this album up while driving with the windows down. It is an infinitely good day.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I downloaded the Blind Melon album on the advice of posters on this thread. Just gave it a listen and enjoyed it the first time through. The only song I had ever listened to before (surprise) was No Rain. Unless you count the time my freshman year when Blind Melon opened for Lenny Kravitz at Carmichael Auditorium, an event that thanks to various substances and the loudest speakers in the world remains one of the top sensory experiences of my life. When they played No Rain during that concert, the guy sang the first two words of the song, turned the mic toward the audience, and they sang the entire rest of the song.

3. Change is the best song on the album. No Rain No. 2.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Pumpkins -- Mellon Collie. Wonderful when I first listened to it.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll second that.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Alright, shithead. How did you forget about this one? It's easily one of the best five albums made since either one of us was born.

7. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Dr. Dre - The Chronic.

Helped take hip-hop to the suburbs, popular at parties and now good for a trip down memory lane.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Disagree. It's scrumtrulescent, but I can think of five better.

9. Nice call on Wildflowers.

I'll add two others that I've rediscovered in the last few months:

- The Pretenders. The Pretenders debut. A great mix of punk and rock energy. Chrissie Hynde can go from wonderfully nasty -- "I shot my mouth off, and you showed me what that hole's for" -- to wounded and gentle on "Lovers Of Today." Wonderfull guitar work from Honeyman-Scott and Farndon.

- Traveling Wilburys, Volume 1. What a fantastic album. What I like most is it sounds like they are all just sitting back having a good time.

10. Scrantonicity

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Pretenders is an awesome call. Doesn't really get the due it deserves. What a collection of tunes--"Precious", "Tattooed Love Boys", "Mystery Achievement" and one of the most underrated rock and roll songs in "The Wait", with its stuttering guitar riffs and Chrissie's grunting and groaning....

12. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Fear of a Black Planet/PE

The Honeydrippers, Volumn 1/The Honeydrippers

Reckoning/REM

The Silos/The Silos

All Shook Down/The Replacements

Draft saved Draft deleted