1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Albany River Rats Bus Crashes.......three seriously injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 19, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No to go all George Costanza, but I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often ...

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, it happens enough. Seven high school basketball players and a teacher from Bathurst, NB were killed in a bus crash a year ago .

In '86 there was tha horrible crash that killed four members of the Swift Current Broncos hockey team, including Brent Ruff, Lindy Ruff's brother. Joe Sakic was on that team.

But yeah, I know what you mean. Lots of teams travelling all over Canada and the US in the middle of winter.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

I've driven that part of the Mass Pike a few times, that can be one scary stretch of highway during the winter, especially at night.
    I hope the injured aren't hurt that bad.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

While this stuff is never good news, we can be grateful that it wasn't much worse.

Casey Borer, one of the injured, has had a cup of coffee with the Whalercanes this season.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

My family was telling me how slippery New England was last night. Not surprised this happened. Hope they recover fully.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It sounds like the games Friday and Sunday have been postponed. Glad it wasn't worse.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Just glad no one was killed or seriously injured. And, yeah, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As a guy who spends loads of time on a team bus in that kind of weather, that is scary shit.

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Incidentally, that Bathurst High basketball team -- eight kids -- is playing for a provincial championship tomorrow. Ten days or so ago, in the days prior to the "sectionals" their coach had a heart attack at practice. An assistant coach performed CPR for 10 minutes.
    Needless to say, pretty much everybody except the parents of the team they're playing against is a Bathurst Hi fan these days...

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That is absolutely fabulous, Huntsie. CP pick up on the story?

Did the coach make it?

12. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

CP is staffing tomorrow. Coach is fine, but heading to the Montreal Heart Institute I believe, for further tests to determine damage. Assistants are running the team. They actually should win it. And there likely won't be a dry eye in the house if they do...

Draft saved Draft deleted