1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Albany job

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TheCommish, Sep 7, 2006.

1. TheCommish

TheCommish New Member

Company: Albany Times Union
    Position: Night Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $50,000 to $60,000
    Ad Expires: October 12, 2006
    Job ID: 679115
    Description:
    The premier newspaper in New York's Capital Region is seeking an energetic, experienced editor to lead its sports copy desk and be in charge of the night operation. The person we hire will be the one who best exhibits a combination of leadership and page design skills. He or she will lay out the section front page and a handful of inside pages five nights a week, and will oversee the work of a night staff that typically includes 4-5 other people. We're looking for a journalist whose own work is excellent and who can help elevate the performance of colleagues, knows when and how to take charge and respects that deadlines are not negotiable. This is an excellent opportunity for someone seeking a taste of management or who aspires to run his or her own department. Send a cover letter explaining why you're the right candidate and appropriate hard-copy portfolio to: Bill Callen Executive Sports Editor Times Union PO Box 15000 Albany, NY 12212

I once interviewed there for a sports design position. Not the best of experiences, but I know the paper is top-notch. If I thought I could jell with the ESE, I'd apply again. Nothing against Callen. We just had different personalities.

I'd expect him to receive a ton of resumes for this position. Good luck to all!

2. What's the cost of living in Albany? And what is the ownership like?

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Ownership is Hearst. Word is they're pretty well-staffed. Good 100K paper. And Albany's a decent town, not sure what cost of living is, though.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I would say it depends on where you live - int he city or in the outskirts. i grew up there, but haven't been back in years. And yes, I know that doesn't help.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

The night sports editor is also the lead designer? Sounds like quality control is secondary.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Who was the night sports editor? Chris Hays? Any idea where he's going?

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I think it was Noah Feit and word is he's headed way down south.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that the lead designer is not the ideal person to be in charge of the desk at night.

9. TheCommish

TheCommish New Member

When I had that interview they threw a surprise copy editing test at me. So if anyone plans on applying, be ready for that. And it's not just sports related. Anything goes on that test.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know exactly what test you mean, except I knew it was coming. Studied the AP stylebook for two weeks, on the flights, in the hotel room the night before ... and I still missed some things I probably should have known. Not an easy test, but I did well enough to get the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted