1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alan Webb U.S. Mile Record (3:46.91) -- Where (if anywhere) is it played?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by write then drink, Jul 21, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

True, Moddy ... and the bigger the theater, the bigger Alan Webb's failures.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

True that.

3. Did Lagat complete his double? Totally forgot about the 5,000 today.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Yessur. He ran a 13:45.87. Kipchoge placed second in 13:46.00.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes he did:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfield/news/story?id=3001868

6. Good for him.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Imagine Webb having the stones to even try that double, let alone pull it off.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Lagat is one of the premier athletes who would even think of a double like that. Craziest things I have seen during my track days were two guys at the CAA Championships doubling in the 5K and 10K. That was an obscene amount of running with only 30 minutes separating the two races.

The thing about the 1500 M and the 5K double, is that it's two completely different leg speeds. The 1500 M is the longest non-sprint there is, a monkey hops on your back right as you come around on that last lap. Then the 5K is primarily a distance event, that can be broken down mentally to mimic a shorter race.

9. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Whose Alan Webb? You mean Bernard Lagat, because he just got TWO gold medals at world and Alan webb was.........oh well.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Who's, idiot.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

whose?

12. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Webb will come around. Certainly, I was left disappointed again this championship season.

The encouraging thing is his age. He's young and a proven talent. He is awful, tactically, in the big meets, but tactics can be learned. Raw talent (i.e. 1:43-27:3x talent) can't be learned. He'll get there.

And Tegenkamp is getting lost in the shuffle because of lagat, but any other year, all of us distance running geeks would be proclaiming him the next great thing for finishing fourth in a championship 5k.

Draft saved Draft deleted