1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alan Webb U.S. Mile Record (3:46.91) -- Where (if anywhere) is it played?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by write then drink, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Edwin Moses?

2. not El G (Guerrouj) -- he has no known form at 10,000 meters. if he's run a track 10, i don't know about it. but you're talking about the greatest runner ever and Webb still has better range
    and definitely not Ritz -- obviously a marathon guy down the road, he's never run a hot 800, webb has a far superior 1500/mile PR -- Ritz a 3:42 guy on his best day a couple years ago -- and Webb still has him at 5,000 (13:10 to 13:15) and i think by one second even at Ritz's best track distance (27:34 to 27:35)

where Ritz has the edge ... he's married to Kalin Toedebusch

[​IMG]

3. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Two words -- Said Aouita
    1:43.86, 3:29.46, 3:46.76, 12:58.39, 27:26.11 and an 8:21.92 steeple for good measure

oly gold medalist and world champ at 5k

4. oh good lord, aouita was injecting himself with an entire Walgreen's on a daily basis

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I think you need to include Bernard Lagat in this conversation too.

6. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

when did Aouita ever test positive?

Lagat is a good call, great range

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The point here is that we're having to reach for the names of some of track's greats to compare to Webb. Anyone saying he's been a disappointment has had his expectations set way too high. He's only 24 and has a long way to go. He's just getting into his prime, and, acciordingly, will go into this year's Worlds as one of the favorites. He has the fastest 1,500 and mile in the world this year, I believe.

The other point to be made about Webb is that he's the one guy out there right now who can make middle distance/distance running relevant to Americans again. That hasn't happened since the Ryun/Liquori days.

8. exactly, thank you

that's my point, that if you have to list the greatest runners in the history of the world to approach what Webb has done before his 25th birthday, hey, maybe he's actually pretty damn great

the same time Mark McGuire did

wasn't Auoita embroiled in a huge scandal when he was coaching and all his athletes quit because he was pressuring them to take EPO?

i don't look at him & his accomplishments as clean but maybe others do

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Webb is a great National runner, not a great World runner

10. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

OK, but that is NOT what you said originally about Aouita. Thought maybe you got a super-secret Skull & Bones newsletter about positives.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yet. He's only 24, and he seems to be closing in on that title. Look at his results this year.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I know about his results this year and I know of his age. I will consider him a great world runner when he has an Olympic medal hanging around his neck or he won a major race after a double or defeats a field of the top runners in the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted