1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama vacating football wins?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 11, 2009.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

For some reason, I find this all amusing.

Everyone bitches that the players get a free ride in class and then they get busted for textbooks. Only at Alabama.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm going to say this - there is no more meaningless penalty than "vacating wins".

Seriously, who gives a shit about that?

You think Michigan fans who got to go to two final fours and party all weekend and see their team play on the biggest stage two years in a row care? Really?

You think the teams that lost on the opportunity to go to the Final Four that Michigan beat, give a rat's ass now?

What is done is done.

I am all for punishing cheaters, but for God's sakes, make the punishments actually mean something.

Instead of "vacating wins", how about take away five scholarships a year from Alabama over the next four years.

You think that would send a much stronger message than what is happening now?

And if the black coaches association protests and says you are taking away opportunities from poor kids -- then take it one step further -- they still have to play for 20 scholarships for regular students who are of need.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Bobby Bowden, but that's about it.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, but even that -- he wasn't going to win the wins title with or without them - to me, it would have been far more meaningful had they hammered the program with scholarship sanctions for like four years so it really hurt

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think they should have gotten six or eight years of scholly sanctions. Oh, and no TV. Oh, and no bowl, too.

6. WS

WS Member

Maybe then Tennessee could beat them

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Destiny does take strange twists and turns sometimes.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

At least those twists and turns were on the road to a national championship.

Draft saved Draft deleted