1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama TV reporter martyrs herself over narcissistic personal blog

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There should be a lecture about watching the Bachelorette. Lot of people -- a lot of otherwise intelligent women -- watch it, though.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And she got on the "Today" show:

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2013/07/fired_huntsville_tv_reporter_s.html#incart_m-rpt-2

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Geez, we should try to make a match... play a little Love Connection here...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

In only a short time, I've learned there is in fact no level of too dumb to work in this business.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's cute when people with no understanding of TV whatsoever explain how TV works.

6. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

What was her work schedule like on Fridays?

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

So before this she's been arrested...
    Dropped f-bombs on the air...
    Run stories with racist and profane remarks...
    Posted videos saying her liveshots are meaningless "nothing" ....

But THIS is what got her fired??

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Bingo. Moral relativity at work. Her interpretation of free expression is moronic, but just about where we are in culture today, where teenagers are celebrated on TV for having children, screaming/cursing at their mothers and having worthless boyfriends. Given those women get that kind of princess treatment, this woman will be hired by some station for her "refreshingly genuine" attitude.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yep. She does have the right to free expression. Her boss had the right to shit-can her. He or the station are not the U.S. government, which is the only institution from which we are protected against freedom of expression.
    She also has the right to be stupid.
    She has the right to be vapid.
    She has the right to be in love with herself.
    She doesn't have the right to be shielded from the fallout stemming from all of the above.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think his point was the "fallout" from all of the above likely will be a reward in the end.

Which is a shame.

11. I get the impression she was unsatisfied with her job.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Everyone always says that, but I haven't seen any evidence that it's the case.

Remember AJ, and everyone talking about how stations will want to hire the guy who said "Fuck"? Last I saw, he had a one-night promotional gig as a bartender. That was it for paying gigs.

A one-segment guest spot on "Today" or Letterman isn't a great trade-off for throwing away your job.

Draft saved Draft deleted