1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama TV reporter martyrs herself over narcissistic personal blog

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1. Young, cute TV reporter in Huntsville, Ala., posts list of 10 "confessions" on her personal blog, including such nuggets as:

2. Her boss orders to remove the blog entry, and she does.

3. She has a change of heart, decides to "keep it real" and re-posts the blog.

4. She is fired.

http://gawker.com/reporter-fired-for-posting-candid-confessions-on-her-949923442?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Seems like a dumb thing to get fired over. Gawker will probably hire her immediately.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Re: Alabama TV reporter martyrs herself over narcisstic personal blog

Probably not something to brag about. If they don't notice, maybe you don't have anything worth noticing.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yet another person who isn't hip to the hard lesson that just because you can freely express yourself on the Net doesn't mean you should.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't fault her as much for the original blog entry as I do for re-posting it "with no apologies" after her boss told her to take it down. The first misstep is ignorant, the second just stupid.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'll gladly fault her the whole way 'round. She's too dumb to work in this business.

The braless thing is just a dumb, unprofessional thing to write.

The "sources with a crush" thing is undoubtedly true. I once worked in a town where the District Attorney had a crush on our female anchor. We used to beat the hell out of the competition on crime stories. That said... that blog posting is a great way to bring that to a halt.

The "old people" thing is inexcusably stupid. That's who watches TV news. Do not piss off old people.

The "stealing mail" thing is enough to prevent her from getting another job to replace the one she just threw away.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

If colleges wanted to properly prepare young people for life in the real world, there would be a mandatory course called "You are not special".

There would be units on how there are a million people just like you out there, how every student in the class is imminently replaceable, how if you decide to show up your boss and/or embarrass your employer, you deserve to be fired and will be fired and how a stupid mistake at age 25 can haunt you forever.

There also should be a lecture about how the speaker at your high school graduation who droned on about how "you're a shining star and don't let anyone try to dim your light" is a fucking idiot.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm glad she's not in the TV news business for now, but, in my experience, people like this usually get most of what they want in life, so long as they started out reasonable wealthy.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I confess to having done 8 and 9 (and, well, 1 I guess)

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oh, they're noticeable. She's the one on the right.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Confessions of a news director:

- Sometimes I hire reporters strictly based on looks
    - Sometimes I don't read all the copy that is being put in the teleprompter
    - I really don't think TV news existed before I started this job - I know never watched it. I got my news from The Daily Show.
    - I can't wait to get out of this dump and land at a celebrity news show. That would be so COOL!
    - I steal from newspapers religiously and don't credit them. Why should I - it's "out" there.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Judges score:
    6, 6, 6

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

People who post under real names are morons ... oh shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted