1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama football player arrested for DV for 2nd time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Not trying to pile on Steak here ... but "charged with" should not be used either, because cops don't make charges. District attorneys do. This guy probably hasn't been charged yet just because cops arrested him.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

That's actually a jurisdiction specific distinction. In some states the cops do the charging. In most places, though, you are correct.

3. I stand corrected. I should have specified that where I am at, officers don't do the charging.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Are we going to beat up Steak for misusing a preposition but let "where I am at" slide? Nitpicking posts like that is a slippery slope. Most of us are or have been professional writers/editors, so we could all waste a lot of time taking the red pen to each post. But doesn't that take away from the general purpose of discussion on this site?

Now that I'm off my soapbox, I think Saban thoroughly blew it in the press conference yesterday when asked about this. He even went as far as to call Taylor "still a good guy." How can anybody call someone who has been arrested for/on/with/whatever domestic violence twice (not to mention he was also charged with theft at UGA) a "good guy"? You don't have to say he is a bad guy, but you certainly don't say he is a good one.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I can take the lumps. And yeah, Saban blew it. There won't be any large consequences, but as an Alabama graduate and taxpayer let's hope he thinks twice about signing another player with pending felony charges.

Someone (I think it was Pat Forde or maybe Mark Schlabach) suggested that Mike Slive should make it his last act before retiring to enact an SEC rule that no conference school can enroll a student-athlete on scholarship who is facing felony charges based on their actions at another school. I'd be in favor of that.

6. Ty,

I understand your point. I wasn't trying to nitpick at Steak, I assure you. Just trying to add to the conversation. Charging someone with a crime in print can get a publication in major trouble if that information is actually incorrect. That's a little bit different than a clunky sentence construction. Just my two cents.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That's fair, and I wasn't really going after you (even though it was your post I quoted) as I was the whole practice of arguing about grammar on a message board, even one filled with writers and editors. I recognize this is different than a you're vs. your discussion as there are actual legal consequences, but it was still taking from the discussion on the actual topic.

And as a UGA fanboy, it is nice to see a former Bulldog not go to an SEC West team and lead it to the National Championship game. The circumstances, on the other hand, are unfortunate.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Taylor's accuser recants, and is arrested on charges of false reporting:

Jonathan Taylor accuser recants story, charges to be reviewed | AL.com

Jonathan Taylor's lawyer hopes client is reinstated to Alabama football team after accuser recants | AL.com

Taylor's case in Georgia is still pending, and he might very well be a scumbag, but this is the danger of dropping a nuke at the first hint of a domestic violence charge. It's become a situation where the accusation matters more than the facts.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It's also the danger of convicting someone with your writing, but god forbid some grammar Nazi asshole on a journalism message board points that out.

Draft saved Draft deleted