1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama beat in Mobile

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Randy Kennedy, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

What's the over/under on how many people from this board will put in for this one? I'd guess 6-8.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Yeah, it really killed Wright Thompson's career.

3. Wright didn't fly solo in his brief time covering LSU. He did most of the features and gamers, the fun stuff, and Jim Kleinpeter did almost all of the nuts-and-bolts, day-to-day coverage. The person who gets the Bama gig at Mobile will be a one-person beat and will have to get their hands a bit dirtier on a regular basis than Wright did in less than a season and a half covering LSU and Saban. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying he's not an effing stud. But it's not going to be the same, including because Alabama's a more competitive beat.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A ringing endorsement, indeed.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

A source says the PG will have to fight hard to keep Clint Hamilton from making the jump.

http://piedmontgazette.com/saban.html

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Another APSE? Yep.

7. Penske Material

Penske Material New Member

Best of luck to whomever lands this gig. Jumping in with both feet. Tab, summer camp, adjustment and Saban. Probably no better way to go though.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I am still stunned no actual names have been bandied about (pulls grenade pin and ducks ...)

rb

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You kidding me?
    They might as well call SEC Media Days, Mobile job fair week.
    Somebody in B'Ham will leave there with a new job.

10. Rockbottom

Randy Kennedy has been officially the busiest man at SEC Media Days so far, interviewing several candidates in an upstairs hotel room while coaches bore the assembled hacks downstairs. Several of the usual SportsJournalists.com suspects have already been spoken to, and I am told that Kennedy hopes to have a decision made/offer tendered/job accepted by early next week.

rb

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've heard he's also contacted a few candidates who weren't at media days.

12. Rockbottom

The Rockbottom Pipeline has learned Mobile is down to three finalists.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted