1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama attorney: But Judge, THE game is on ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog428, Dec 17, 2009.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'm sure this is tucked away in another thread somewhere. If so, move along.

Otherwise, I give you the great state of Alabama, where the priorities are a bit, shall we say, jumbled:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/12/your_honor_its_the_big_game_la.html

Good Lord.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Least. Surprising. News. Ever.

Pathetic.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't know about pathetic.

If I was set to go to trial in Alabama, I don't think I'd want to make the jury miss the game.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

ya gotta love the South.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I'd rather not have the fate of my trial in the hands of a jury of people angry about missing a football game.

It's not that big of a deal.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I don't understand how the jurors are going to miss the game. It starts at 7-ish.

If they're going to Pasadena, I'm pretty sure they could get out of jury duty by showing the non-refundable airline tickets or game tickets. If they're chillin' in Birmingham, they'll be on the couch eating fried mayo balls long before kickoff even with a full day of court.

I think the real issue here is that the attorneys either have tickets to the game or don't want to miss any of it while prepping at night for the following day.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The guy on the left wishes the judge for his trial had been so reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. chester

chester Member

Actually, isn't it Jack Warden's character who has tickets to the game?

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes. The Klugman character was the one who grew up in the poor neighborhood.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I don't see this being a big deal. Lawyers get continuances for personal reasons all the time. I know a lawyer who is really tight with Jim Irsay. When the Colts played the Bears in the Super Bowl, Irsay called him and invited him to Miami on his private jet to watch the game with him. Needless to say, John spent the next eight hours frantically calling every opposing attorney on his docket that week getting cases re-scheduled. And no one had any problem with it, besides being insanely jealous.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Our brigade (made up of about 3,500 people) holiday ball was moved from the 7th to the 6th because of the title game.

Guess the colonel didn't want to miss it, either.

No big deal.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Damn. My bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted