1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

al mvp race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Aug 22, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Joe Mauer is having one of the most historic seasons of all-time. I don't care if the Twins finish 40 games out. If he keeps this up and doesn't win the MVP, it'll be a joke.

1.) Mauer
    2.) Mauer
    3.) Mauer
    4.) Mauer
    5.) Mauer

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Diabeetus: 6?

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Yep. But it doesn't stand out, even among first basemen, which was Joe's point.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

again, confusion reigns in my feeble brain. what is so historic about his season? honestly?

and please don't feed me ops drivel. this geezer just isn't seeing it.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Only because your Jeter/New York bias is showing again, Shockey.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Your NY bias is showing greatly, Shockey. If Mauer were doing this with the Yankees, Yogi Berra would be giving him hummers after every game.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

My BFF OOP had a post the other day about how Mauer would likely be winning the Triple Crown if he hadn't missed the first month. Ifs and buts, etc etc, but check this out:

http://bases.nbcsports.com/2009/08/joe-mauer-mvp-voting-and-historic-awesomeness.html.php

No catcher has ever had this awesome a season. Ever.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

But he's not a Yankee!!!!!

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Actually, Mauer's power numbers DO lead the league. So does his OBP. So does his average. And if it weren't for Pujols, he'd be leading all of baseball in all three ratio categories.

Didn't realize Mauer was doing so well overall. Knew about the average. He's clearly the leading MVP candidate.

Jeter and Teix are second and third. I think Jeter gets the edge over Teix because he'll get a Lifetime Achievement Award voting boost.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The fact that Mauer has missed a month should count against him at least somewhat, and that's something rate stats won't show.

11. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Summed up well. If he doesn't fall off a cliff, it's the best offensive season for a catcher. Ever.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's fine, but he's STILL having the best season ever by a catcher. That he's doing this despite missing all of April makes it even more impressive, if not outright negates his missing the first month,

Draft saved Draft deleted