1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Michaels to be an NBC Olympic host for Vancouver

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 5, 2009.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Right. For sure, the late-night show is being hosted out of NYC. Not sure now what they'll do with Al.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Yes, Mark, the Bellingham cable system has CBC, as does Seattle. CBC does a better job anyway with what the U.S. considers fringe sports, so I'd expect NBC's coverage to get pwned by CBC in that part of the world — or anywhere else CBC is available as an alternative.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

CTV has the Games, not CBC.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Ah, I thought CTV was a catch-all abbreviation for "any Canadian network." Hopefully my cohorts in that part of the country have rabbit ears or a dish.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Since it's CTV, you will probably get James Duthie (hooray!) and Pierre McGuire (Bugger), plus many of the TSN folks.

TSN has already begun advertising their coverage.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Brian Williams will be hosting - he was fired by the CBC right after announcing he'd be hosting for CTV.

7. Scouter

Scouter Member

I thought they went on strike.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's a shame... he's a great announcer...

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Don't worry Kevin, the only people who saw that game live were the people in the arena in Lake Placid.
    Game was played in the afternoon and shown on tape in prime time. There was no live telecast.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

spnited: I'm curious, were you aware of the result before the broadcast?

I ask only because I was a 16 at the time and don't remember hearing the result before it aired on tape.

I have a copy of the game on DVD... somewhere.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Definitely knew the result before it was aired on ABC...might be the last sporting event I actually watched when I knew the outcome in advance.

12. sg86

sg86 Member

I hope they don't bring back those lame segments with Mary Carillo.

Draft saved Draft deleted