1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL Gold Glove Awards -- Jeter Wins at SS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Nov 10, 2009.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

the same people that voted Gilbert Arenas to the NBA All-Defensive team must have voted for this award too.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When does NL come out? I only give a rat's ass about one position.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

listen, the debate raged on by jeter haters won't die. but at least perhaps some will acknowledge that his defense is not nearly as poor as those detractors have argued in the past.

is he the greatest pure defensive shortstop ever? certainly not. but neither was he ever as hurtful to the yanks as some portrayed him in recent years. and you know what? he's got his fifth ring to prove it.

at this juncture, he's like dimaggio -- should joltin' joe been playing center field in mantle's rookie year? probably not. but the dimaggios and jeters give it up when they choose to, not when someone tells them to.

i'm absolutely confident that when jeter's defense becomes a prine reason the yanks are sliding, he'll either retire -- if he's not still a hits machine -- or retire.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I don't know if Dunn's going to win it this year.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well shit.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Whatever, fanboy. The only thing I hate is lazy voters giving a shortstop with no range a Gold Glove.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He's the oldest starting shortstop to win the WS since pee Wee Reese won it in '55 at 37 years old.

I got the MLB package this year & watched most of the Yankees' games. His range isn't the best, but it's not bad. And he makes all of the routine plays plus a lot of tough ones in the the hole.

I don't get the hatred. He plays hard, he runs out ground balls, he respects the game, and he's a winner.

Yeah, he's a boring quote. So what? Would you prefer that he was a loud mouth asshole?

And even if you think he's an ass, just think about how big an ass a single, multi-millionaire, shortstop for a World Championship team in NYC could be.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Are you sure he won't retire?

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

right now? nah. maybe after he reaches 3,000 hits, if he's in obvious decline then. but it's fast approaching. being the only yank with 3,000 will be pretty big for him, i'd think.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Nate McLouth offers a hearty congratulations to Mr. Jeter.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Why don't they give it to the guy with the best fielding percentage at each position (and set a minimum number of attempts)?

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because there's a lot more to fielding than avoiding errors.

Draft saved Draft deleted