1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 19, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's their fault their teams don't provide run support?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Riiiiiight. CC Sabathia, former Cy Young winner and best pitcher on the best team in baseball, is a joker.

Cliff Lee has 10 wins. King Felix has a losing record. I'm glad guys like Dick Whitman and JC are around to think they will win the Cy Young against guys like Sabathia and David Price because I make lots of money winning easy bets like this all the time.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm not saying they'll win, but if othere do, I don't think it will be right.

Who do you believe should win? What you seem to be saying is who you think will win because of Joe Morgan type writers who vote on this.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Right now it's between Price and Sabathia. Sabathia has the edge because he's on the Yankees, has the most wins, and is a previous winner. The only comparable pitcher is Jon Lester, who can win if he dominates the last six weeks and leads the Sawx past NY or TB for the playoffs.

Everyone else has flaws:

* Lee/Hernandez don't have the records.

* Carl Pavano and Clay Buchholz have the W/L record, but neither one has the flash -- both less than 100Ks. Buchholz leads the league in ERA, but Lester's the better pitcher and bigger name. Buchholz is no better than the anonymous Trevor Cahill, who is doing the same thing for the A's in obscurity.

*Relievers need an historic year to win it. Soriano is having as good a year as a guy with almost the same name, Soria.

No one else is in the discussion. Andy Pettitte might have been the favorite when he got hurt.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was not incuding Lester and Buchholz because they will split the Boston vote. I think CC will be hurt by having two other top pitchers in the Northeast.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sabathia usually finishes the season strong too, and he appears to be on a roll.

As long as the Yankees hit even a little bit, he's going to finish the season with 20 wins.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's going to be fatboy C.C. Everyone else take a number.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There's a team vote?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Boston has 2 votes. just like every other city.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I understand that, I just don't know why it's assumed that the vote will be split.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just human nature to vote for the players you see a lot.

That might give Lee and Felix a little bump since the western writers see them more.

Draft saved Draft deleted