1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL and NL MVPs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Oh YEAH!!! Shit is getting real!

Internet throw down next week! Bringing my popcorn!

Don't know who to bet on though. Think we all, including spectators, probably lose.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a good point.

But at least the ensuing Posey-Pagan debate can carry the next 10 pages!

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You're being part of the problem, not part of the solution. ;)

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

He's another guy who doesn't get the joke.
    Vomitus, can you not confine yourself to the "naked celebrity thread" while we are trying to work out our problems?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Gotta side with 3OF on that one.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well, this center-fielder is Angelic and Demonic, so he has that going for him.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Seventy-six trombones at the big parade . . . .

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand half of this, but many of you should read this Passan column, which addresses what he sees as some flaws with WAR and the tantrums thrown by certain people when you point out those flaws.

http://yhoo.it/1tjPosC

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There are several civic/business organizations in this town and all claim to have Bennington's best interest at heart when it comes to attracting business and tourists. But instead of complementing each other, the town's 2 biggest orgs try to one-up one another -- and fall woefully short, if not fail. As manager of a gallery in the heart of downtown it's infuriating but enacting change is difficult because most members of each org are stubborn in their ways, not to mention the incestuous intra-org relationships further pollute matters.

My takeaway after reading Jeff's piece, and I've thought this after reading other saber-articles, is that the two best teams of seamheads -- baseball-reference and fangraphs -- use their own theoretical parameters and formulas and equations and video services etc etc to figure out complicated (and still subjective) ideas such as dWAR and FIP etc etc. No wonder nobody can agree whose is best.

If they can't come together to find a common-sense baseline formulas, what makes anyone think the layman sportswriter -- or SJ'ers -- could ever find common ground when it comes to voting for the MVP. Although to be fair, we all agree that Carlos Gomez is the greatest Brewer since Scotty Podsednik because he's such a threat on the bases -- and hey, he's only 272 stolen bases behind Molitor for the Brewers' record!

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Seems like Giancarlo Stanton's season ended with the HBP to the face. He would finish with a .287/.395/.554 slash line, 37 home runs, 105 RBI, 89 runs scored and 13 steals. He was clearly the best hitter in the National League this year, but now he is missing a big chunk of September and any slim playoff hopes the Marlins had probably ended with the injury.

Has Stanton done enough to have a real shot at NL MVP?

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I think so. He's still going to lead the league in homers, going to finish top 3 in RBI, top 10 in runs scored, tied for 13th right now in outfield assists. There's only one player from a playoff team (Adrian Gonzalez) who's in a position to pass him in RBI.

It's a down season across the boards as far as offense. That also makes a Kershaw MVP candidacy even stronger.

Draft saved Draft deleted