1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AJC section changes/staffing cuts - INTERESTING UPDATE 8/26

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Nola4520, Jul 16, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: AJC section changes/staffing cuts

[​IMG]

You're gonna quit, right?! VOLUNTARY, RIGHT!!!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Quit makin sense, would ya?
    It would be like a dumbass sports-talk programming director dumping a sports-talk show on a sister news-talk station because the mood fits him.
    The people in charge have no fucking clue and should be shot... or at least dipped in honey and dropped on an ant hill....

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Agreed.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

We need to be careful here, in bemoaning the possible departures of some quality people, that we don't give bad management the bright idea to turn down certain individuals when it realizes it might actually lose valuable contributors. As much as we might treasure someone's work, they probably have earned the right to exit with a check. And our fretting and cussing over it might tip off management and end up forcing the people to stay when they really, really want to leave.

Knew one writer who, not so long ago, was told he wouldn't get a buyout because he was too important to the paper. So when he asked for a raise, they told him no anyway.

I know it's topsy-turvy but: Good people in this business have earned the right to leave it with a fistful of the bad guys' money (or as much as they can get).

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Screwed twice and not even a reach-around, eh?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think they got 73 and were looking for 58. All 73 will be approved, I'm told.
    Barnhardt is among them. He and Mr. Bisher will depart together.

7. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Any editors in sports take the buyout?

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Who needs Barnhart and Hummer when you can have journalistic excellence like this.

It seems, according to the AJC's crack research, that fans of Georgia's rivals think the top-ranked Bulldogs are overrated. Coulda knocked me over with a feather.

http://www.ajc.com/wireless/content/sports/uga/stories/2008/08/01/georgia_fans_coaches_poll.html?imw=Y

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I think a better analogy is the Courier-Journal without a college basketball writer.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read that story too and was blown away by the lack of relevance. A Tech fan said "To Hell with Georgia"? When!?!? Prove it!?!?!

It smacked of the story about a writer wearing a Red Sox hat in New York and all the jeers he got. I think the Globe did that one.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm told Stan Awtrey, golf writer, is buying out, too.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

From what I hear, people like Michelle Hiskey and Matt Winkeljohn took the buyouts, too. Winkeljohn is the AJC's lead Georgia Tech writer. Haven't heard about Awtrey.

Draft saved Draft deleted