1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AJC section changes/staffing cuts - INTERESTING UPDATE 8/26

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Nola4520, Jul 16, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Re: AJC section changes/staffing cuts

They might as well just run a banner hed that reads "WE QUIT." Just be sure to have wild art of kittens underneath it.

2. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Who is the sports editor these days? Seems like they keep changing their minds on that one.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

This comes a day after kittens show up on the front of the Web site.

"Thanks for the service, people, and for taking our "VSP." Be sure to look at the kitties on the way out."

This must be AJC 3.0: The Slimmer Era

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Of course, all the people who made the bad decisions to get the AJC to where it is now .... are still working. :-\

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I get the AJC's sports section e-mailed to me M-F and I get it because of the SEC coverage and Barnhart.
    If Barnhart goes, I'll drop the e-mail.
    Maybe in this internet age that will have some sting to it, dropping a free service, but, really, what's the point of getting it?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

An updated UGA driving infractions toteboard? Oh wait, you can get that at EDSBS. Hell if I know anymore. I think the suits know that papers have to have top talent in order to compete, but they don't have enough time or capital left to eat the losses until the new revenue model presents itself. So they're abandoning the fight and squeezing that last drops of blood out of the turnip before the whole thing collapses.

7. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Load gun. Aim at toes. Pull trigger. Sweep blown off appendages into dumpster.

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

[​IMG]

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

I get it, too, and I may follow your lead, Jay. The only redeeming value of it for me would be Braves coverage, but who really wants to follow them right now?

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If the AJC loses Steve Hummer, it loses its best sports writer. It will already lose its best college football reporter in Barnhart. This used to be the section I would never miss. With these two out, I doubt I'll read it more than once or twice a week.

11. Ty Webb

Ty Webb Member

Sorry to create what I am sure will be mass confusion by posting under the other Ty Webb. As someone who has never worked in newspapers, I must ask a question.

How can the South's largest paper, in the South's largest city, located in a melting pot of all 12 SEC schools not do anything possible to keep Tony Barnhart? I know economic times are tough but how many people read that paper every day just because of Tony? I visit AJC.com every morning for one read, Tony Barnhart.

This seems like the Indy Star without an auto racing writer, or the Courier Journal without a thoroughbred racing writer. Again, I do not work in the newspaper industry, just a reader. Am I way off here?

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

No, you're not way off.

Some papers might do what you suggest and try to keep their top talent, tossing a financial package or other security. That's highly unlikely, though, in today's times.

Others, seeking that financial bottom-line home run, figure they will be fine after their top talent departs because "someone else will step up." They know a Barnhart can be replaced physically.

Losing the experience, the connections and the reader base attracted to that top talent is the killer, because you won't regain 20 or 30 or 40 years of contacts, networking and relationships. The readers know that and will leave the AJC, or other papers, to follow their favorite writer to a .com gig or elsewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted