1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AJC: Cheating rampant in Atlanta public schools

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 6, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly agree. A teacher can inspire, I've seen it as PTA president and a parent, but without supportive parents the kids are really starting well behind.

Its amazing what a difference you can see between a kid who was/has been read to by his/her parents since they were in the womb and someone who's first words were spoken by a television.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is true, but some kids are wired to succeed in school and some don't care.

Both of my boys are smart but one makes straight As and the other thinks a C is just fine.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

With a tiny number of exceptions, those teaching in inner-city schools are the ones who can't get on elsewhere.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

D is for diploma!

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

CNN's report indicated some of these teachers face possible jail time for fraud.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's what I was kinda thinking. I lived in Atlanta 25 years ago and the public school system was largely shit.

On an unrelated note, it is good to see the AJC do something worthwhile.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nothing improves a score like a good eraser.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

There is so much pressure on teachers, principals, etc. to reach certain scores on these darn tests that the pressure to cheat is understandable. At the core, it's no different than the pressure on college coaches to win, thus they bend/break the rules when it comes to recruiting or whatever else.

If we'd all just take a few deep breaths and not have our underwear in such a bunch, this kind of stuff would be far less likely to happen.

Let's be honest, in a class of 30 students, there are going to be some exceptional, plenty of average and a few not-so-bright bulbs. To expect that everyone reach some magic number on their test score is out of touch with reality.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hope one of the schools that didn't get caught is the one a block away from my new house. Need some good ratings to drive the neighborhood prices up!

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Cheating is never understandable nor justified. Once you say that, its a slippery slope down into the depths.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You have to understand what Mark is saying.

He just thinks we need to realize that black folk are dumb.

And, iffen we're going to keep spendin' money trying to edumacate them, we shouldn't expect good results.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yankee fan, you needn't put words in my mouth. Speak for yourself, OK?

I have both parents and friends who are school teachers and have heard some of their horror stories. What I am saying is that teachers are under more pressure than ever to be sure that students achieve certain scores on these tests. It makes the district look good and, in some cases, money for the district is tied to these results.

Teachers whose students fail to reach a certain level may even lose their jobs. Not too much different than college athletic coaches. Given that, are we surprised that some yield to the temptation to cheat?

Draft saved Draft deleted