1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AirTran/Southwest merger?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bydesign77, Sep 27, 2010.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Just heard it on WSB in Atlanta. This will change the air travel game in ATL.

Don't have a link yet.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Here is the memo sent to AirTran employees: http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2010/09/27/daily2.html

It doesn't just change Atlanta. It also shores up Southwest in Charlotte, Memphis and other southern airports where it didn't have much of a presence. More than that, it puts Southwest into a lot of smaller airports in which it never would have expanded on its own.

It's possible -- probable -- there will be some service and employee cuts (the operation at Akron-Canton might be in trouble with Southwest in Cleveland), even though Southwest has never had a layoff. Still, it looks like this deal is less about Southwest bumping off a competitor and more about it gearing up harder to go after the Uniteds and Deltas.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm glad Southwest is coming to Atlanta.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I also think AirTran has a bit of a presence in the Caribbean, which might be a nice addition for Southwest. The one and only thing I like about AirTran is satellite radio (though TV would be better) and I suspect that'll be the first thing that's ripped out.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Levels 3 and 4 of Hell are merging. CEO Plutus will maintain his current position

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I only fly Southwest or AirTran when I have no other viable option.

With this merger, I will only have one airline to ignore in my travel planning.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This will also mean one less carrier flying out of DFW as Southwest is prohibited from doing so under the Wright Amendment.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Can never understand why anyone would dis Southwest. Low fares, always on time, no baggage charges

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

For the most part, you can't get a direct flight on Southwest and that's what kinda sucks.

The flights are cheaper and they don't tag you with all those fees but not being able to reserve a seat is a big turnoff for some.

My only goal when flying is to get the cheapest flight possible and Southwest usually works on that regard but I also understand I'm on the modern equal of Greyhound when I fly Southwest.

If you have higher expectations than that, you'll not be happy with Southwest.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Unless you are flying first class on the other major domestic airlines you will be bitterly disappointed if you have higher expectations.

The only airline I have a different view of is Jet Blue because of tv. Other than that it's a crap shoot. My second decision point beyond TV's is quality of Sky Club - which I prefer Delta.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If I were Southwest, I'd leave a minimum number of planes flying as AirTran so you could serve both Dallas airports and just to get around this idiotic legislation. Delta flyers will be happy because fares going to Atlanta are going to fall.

12. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

I'll predict that this won't be true, that instead, Southwest will reduce flights in and out of Atlanta. It won't be a hub for them, it will be a spoke. Why? Because they'll be just fine with Delta keeping prices high.

Oh, they'll compete on enough routes to make it LOOK like they're having an impact, but in the bigger picture, I'd expect fares to increase or only decrease slightly.

The new airline won't have as much of an MCO presence either IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted