1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Airline terror plot suspects identified; of British orgin

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

... And when I do, start fuckin'.

Well played, sir. :D

2. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

That my friend would only hurt the situation and create WW III and nothing else, and that we do not want happening.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

All are Muslims.

Dipshit.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Muslims should have a Million Muslim March condemning this horseshit.

Boom is right on.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Riiiiiiight.

It's a minority.

6. fake shemp

fake shemp New Member

Slightly OT, but does anyone know how Scotland Yard initially got around to monitoring the suspects? I've read that their neighbors had no complaints about them leading me to believe they did not tip anyone off, so what caused British authorities to start bugging their cars and tapping their phone lines?

And I just started working in NYC recently, reading this shit in the paper while taking the train in the morning is scary as all hell. I honestly can't believe not a single thing has happened to this subway system yet.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Apparently, some of the arrested mooks' names came up in the subway bombing investigation last summer. Then, two of the group went to Pakistan, and MI%'s board went "tilt."
    These clods had no operational security whatsoever. They talked to each other on cell phones, they hung out at a radicial mosque, etc. There was NO chance of their plot getting off the ground, so to speak.
    As for why there haven't been any attacks on American subway systems, etc. So far, the foreign terrorists have all wanted to top 9/11, so they've focused on airplane attacks. The main reason, however, is that the American Muslim community has overwhelmingly rejected any connection with extremist violence. The handful of plotters who've been arrested mostly have been training to go abroad to fight the US and/or Israel, not blow stuff up here.
    The American Dream has a powerful pull on every person. It will help protect us, is we live up to it. Acting like hysterics every time a plot's uncovered is not a good step on that path.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

As you stand in line today at the airport for 2 hours remember to give thanks to the nation of islam.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Damn straight, Boom. To the camps they go. Round them up. Fuck all Muslims for making me wait in line at an airport.

There's lots of space in Texas and Arizona, right? We could just build the camps there. Send them all!

10. Boom_70

Pastor I know you are angry but I think that is way too harsh.

I do think though we need to ask the nation of islam to take a firm outward stand against the extremists.

Please give me one good reason why we should be made to stand in line at airport for 2 hours because some clown from pakistan does not like how the world is treating him?

11. Funny, I must have missed the part of my original post where I described exactly what I look like, or that I'd never been mistaken for someone of another race/creed/religious background. Thanks for jumping to conclusions.

Carry on.

12. Boom_70

Jihad is not a term coined by Ned Lamont:

What does the Arabic word jihad mean?

One answer came last week, when Saddam Hussein had his Islamic leaders appeal to Muslims worldwide to join his jihad to defeat the "wicked Americans" should they attack Iraq; then he himself threatened the United States with jihad.

As this suggests, jihad is "holy war." Or, more precisely: It means the legal, compulsory, communal effort to expand the territories ruled by Muslims at the expense of territories ruled by non-Muslims.

The purpose of jihad, in other words, is not directly to spread the Islamic faith but to extend sovereign Muslim power (faith, of course, often follows the flag). Jihad is thus unabashedly offensive in nature, with the eventual goal of achieving Muslim dominion over the entire globe.

Jihad did have two variant meanings through the centuries, one more radical, one less so. The first holds that Muslims who interpret their faith differently are infidels and therefore legitimate targets of jihad. (This is why Algerians, Egyptians and Afghans have found themselves, like Americans and Israelis, so often the victims of jihadist aggression.) The second meaning, associated with mystics, rejects the legal definition of jihad as armed conflict and tells Muslims to withdraw from the worldly concerns to achieve spiritual depth.

Jihad in the sense of territorial expansion has always been a central aspect of Muslim life. That's how Muslims came to rule much of the Arabian Peninsula by the time of the Prophet Muhammad's death in 632. It's how, a century later, Muslims had conquered a region from Afghanistan to Spain. Subsequently, jihad spurred and justified Muslim conquests of such territories as India, Sudan, Anatolia, and the Balkans.

Today, jihad is the world's foremost source of terrorism, inspiring a worldwide campaign of violence by self-proclaimed jihadist groups:

The International Islamic Front for the Jihad Against Jews and Crusaders: Osama bin Laden's organization;
    Laskar Jihad: responsible for the murder of more than 10,000 Christians in Indonesia;
    Harakat ul-Jihad-i-Islami: a leading cause of violence in Kashmir;
    Palestinian Islamic Jihad: the most vicious anti-Israel terrorist group of them all;
    Egyptian Islamic Jihad: killed Anwar El-Sadat in 1981, many others since, and
    Yemeni Islamic Jihad: killed three American missionaries on Monday.

Draft saved Draft deleted