1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Air France flight disappears

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jun 1, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-happens-when-lightni

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Not looking very good considering there appears to be little knowledge of exactly where to search and this happened in the middle of the night.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

And apparently in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It was close enough to the Brazilian coast that they have a general idea of where contact was lost. Plus, transatlantic flights are tracked by satellites. They'll find a debris field and figure out what the hell happened.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's most likely what it was, if there was no communication and no GPS signal. Total electrical failure of all electrical systems, to include backup generators, is a likely result.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the GPS is not fed off of a battery that is not tied to the electrical system of the plane and grounded enough to survive a lightning strike.

And almost eight years after 9/11, there is no way I am not buying that our military does not know where every, and I mean every, aircraft is at all times on this globe.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

An aircraft in flight is by its very definition not grounded. So I'm trying to figure out how a lightning strike can cause any damage.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Huh? Too many double negatives in there for me to follow. Maybe I'm dumb.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

10. 93Devil

From my limited understanding of electricity, grounded is moving the electrical current into a larger object (like the ground of the Earth) so it becomes harmless.

Some deeper reading...

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99304.htm

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

my wife's aunt and uncle left Boston this morning on an Air France flight to Paris......I hope they didn't hear about this before they boarded the flight.

12. 93Devil

Cleaned up a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted